i had a baby!

juliette cute 2 edited

And her name is Juliette. She is beautiful and lovely and she is my everything. She looks very much like Bob in my opinion, but that depends on who you ask. We’ve got two firm camps of “she looks like Jillian” and “she looks like Bobby”, but either way, she is an awesome baby. I love her so much and I make sure she knows it with a million kisses and cuddles a day.

juliette wink edited

Things have been a little crazy around here lately. We’ve run into some hiccups along the way, such as issues with breastfeeding. Jules had a serious tongue-tie (aka a short frenulum), then a case of thrush and now I’m on antibiotics, which means I can’t give her my breastmilk so it’s a “pump and dump” situation for the next week, while she’s fed formula. Not to mention the physical and emotional stresses of the postpartum period. Let’s just say childbirth was NOTHING compared to what I had to go through immediately afterward. That may be a story for another day because I feel very few women share what the post-birth period is really like. It can be a long, complicated and painful recovery. There are all these websites and books that tell you what to expect from life with a newborn, but very few that discuss the mother’s recovery part of it. And even then, some don’t get into the real nitty gritty of it. I think because it might be an embarassing topic for most, which I totally get.

I don’t expect to be posting too regularly around here for the next few weeks, maybe something short now and again. We’ll see. But I do plan to be back once I’m fully healed and I find my groove. In the meantime, follow me on Instagram! I’ve got some pics up there and I promise not to turn it into a baby-only zone. Although, right now my life is consumed by this little munchkin so it might be a little baby-heavy for the time being, haha.

Thank you for sticking with me! I look forward to catching up with you all.

15 responses to “i had a baby!”

1. Rowena says:

Wow congratulations to you and Bob! Juliette is totally precious! Good luck with everything!

Jillian she’s beautiful! I love the smiles and congratulations to you and Bob! PS – I also have a short frenulum and my parents never did anything about it. I’ve never had a speech impediment (to everyone’s dismay). Keep us posted, k?

• Jillian says:

Thank you Ruth! The lactation consultants and the pediatrician had recommended we get her frenulum clipped so that’s what we did. I was wondering about the speech impediment thing. They told me it could go either way!

3. lena says:

Congratulations–she is a doll! And I see a bit of both of you in your beautiful baby girl. I would love it if one day you shared what your recovery has been like, but in the meantime, sleep whenever you can!

4. Laura says:

I know your IG has been baby heavy lately but I have to say I LOVE it! Keep posting! Juliette is so sweet!

Thanks for being so honest about your adjustment to motherhood. I’m sorry it hasn’t been easy but at least you know it will get better and your body WILL get back to normal eventually. Hopefully things are already getting better now!

5. Sumaira says:

Congratulations. I had a little boy nine months ago so I relate to the post natal recovery saga. I am one of those that will share every little detail with anyone willing to listen because I too feel that no-one tells you the whole truth antenatally and I want my non-mommy friends to know everything!

• Jillian says:

Congrats to you too Sumaira! Yes, I’m the same way. I have no shame in telling people my story when someone asks me “And how are you feeling?”. I’ve actually found that sharing my story with other mothers inspires them to tell me theirs too. It’s funny because I always think,”I could have used this info months ago and have been better prepared for this!” I guess it’s one of those things that some women don’t talk about freely (unless asked).

6. ashley says:

We don’t mind baby heavy. She’s so adorable!! Also it’s cool to see baby posts from bloggers that I read before baby. I love seeing life transitions :)

My friend had a natural birth, and while I’m not an advocate for it, she did tell me epidurals are part of what makes recovery afterwards even more difficult. Any thoughts on this? I’m sure you’ll blog about it later but I for one would like to hear about the process as I would like to have kids one day!!

• Jillian says:

Actually, I have to say that the epidural was my saving grace! And it really had no bearing on my recovery, as far as I know. I had an episiotomy (surgical incision to allow a wider space for the baby to come through) and a vacuum-assisted birth. The stitches are aking FOREVER to heal. Or at least, it feels that way. A large part of my pain has to do with that. I definitely want to talk about it more in depth in the next coming weeks.

7. Melissa says:

OHHHHHH – congratulations x 1 million. She’s a beauty and I’m so happy for you.

Post partum recovery is NO JOKE. HA! I feel ya – sorry for all the hiccups. With raging hormones, and the stress of being a new mama (it’s unreal, you may not even be able to recognize it while you’re in it even) having to add in other difficulties is a lot. But you’ll make it :)

If you have any questions/thoughts/concerns or just need to vent feel free to email me anytime! Mama’s unite!

8. SoNa says:

Jill and Bob, congratulations !!!! It’s a miracle! Juliet just super sweet girl !!! I wish you all good health, patience (with children it is useful), good sense of humor and I hope you have a camcorder, and you are already using it :)
    I also think that she looks like a Bob. In any case, you are both beautiful people :)