oh hey!

me and bob

It’s been a while.

Things have been better since I last updated you. Actually, they got worse before they got better. Let me explain.

We had a mouse in our house.

A MOUSE. In our house.I was feeling miserable about it. Not only was I still adjusting to my new surroundings, but now I had to deal with this. And see, I don’t like mice. To me, they are filthy little creatures that carry diseases and they give me the creeps. Nothing is more uncomfortable when you’re walking on eggshells in your house, expecting a rodent to pop out at you any moment (Bob tells me they don’t “pop out”, rather they scurry away. But still). Any little sound or squeak inside the house and I jumped. And this mouse was sharp! He bypassed multiple types of traps set up around the house. I would have been impressed if I weren’t so disgusted. We finally had pest control come in to set traps and fill up some of the holes around the house with a filling that’s supposed to block rodents and insects from entering. Since then, we haven’t had any mouse sightings, thank goodness. Of course, then his grandmother who lives downstairs started seeing mouse droppings on her countertop shortly after. I did feel bad about that. A few days later, when his grandmother found the mouse dead by her front door (from natural causes?), a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Sorry to say it, but it’s true.

cupcakescupcakes2

Bob and I celebrated our birthday in a  low-key fashion this year. We went out to eat, just the two of us, at Bobby Flay’s semi-new restaurant Gato.  The life-changing scrambled eggs appetizer made my night! It was easily the best thing I’ve eaten in months. It was spicy and wonderful and had the consistency similar to a soft cheese spread. Second best thing? The berry crostata dessert. It was such a nice night and the first time we were able to slow down and enjoy each other’s company in weeks (which we’re trying to do more of before the baby arrives). The seemingly never-ending move really took up a lot of our weekend free time. I’m hoping the baby doesn’t come too early so we can have a few weeks of calm before she’s due to arrive later in the month.

eggs

My sister’s wedding was last weekend! I took very few pictures and they were only of the bride getting ready at the gorgeous NU Hotel in Brooklyn. No time to snap pics when you’re the maid of honor! But I would eventually like to post the pictures once I have the professional ones. A full photo of the bride’s dress (along with other beautiful moments from the wedding) needs to be shown off because…duh. Plus, there’s this video of my nephew Mason tearin’ it up with his dance moves that my dad has yet to send me. The kid is seriously so good. I’ve never seen anyone just feel that music and let loose like he does. I hope he never loses that!

getting readybouquet

I’d gotten to the point where I legitimately had NOTHING to wear. The weather warmed up considerably and I thought I’d get away with wearing my old summer dresses once that happened. As it turned out, I’d gained more weight than I realized and those dresses made me feel like sausages in casings. When I told my mom, she asked me, “Why did you think you’d be able to fit in your old dresses?”. Good question! I think part naïveté and part wishful thinking. I had held out for as long as I could on the maternity wear, but I had to give in last Monday. I went to Target on my lunch break and bought over $100 in dresses and one pair of comfy pants.

Okay and one eye shadow too because I have no self control in the beauty section. No regrets!

nice shoes

Things are going to start to quiet down within the next couple of weeks (here’s hoping), so I’d like to start picking up my DSLR regularly again. I miss taking pictures. I miss blogging too. And you guys, of course. How are you?

17 responses to “oh hey!”

1. em says:

I’ve had to deal with mice in an old apartment. Stressful! Actually why I ended up moving out. I still shudder thinking about it.

Also, I never would’ve thought that the words “life-changing” “scrambled eggs” and “appetizer” would ever ever go together. I’m intrigued…if still a little dubious.

When in doubt Target, right? 😀

• Jillian says:

1. They are creepy little things, aren’t they? I’m just really glad it was only one. A lot of people told me, “Where’s one, there’s another”, but I have no evidence of that so I’m choosing to believe it was the one.

2. I know. BUT! Truly, these were the best scrambled eggs. I’ve never had eggs that creamy and savory before. And they weren’t grossly under-cooked either. I can only deal with the yolk being runny in eggs benedict, soft-boiled or over-easy.

3. Absolutely 😉

2. Melissa says:

Mice give me the creeps as well. They’re so nasty… UGH. Hate thinking about them walking on your things with their gross nasty feet. HA – glad yours is gone.

Also your sister looks beautiful. Her dress!!! Gorgeous.

Your sister looked so lovely – big congrats to her! I’m glad you’re doing (and feeling) well. Can’t believe it’s almost time for baby girl to get here!

4. Kate says:

Glad to read your post, I was wondering whether your baby decided to arrive early. Glad all is well. I like your re-cap catch-up post. Especially the $100 of dresses at Target. I love Target too, you can get so much for so little!

• Jillian says:

Imagine?! Oh I’m glad she hasn’t shown up this early! I’m not ready just yet! Too much to do and too little time.

And that’s why I love Target (but doesn’t everyone?). Great selection, great prices…I never go wrong in there!

5. Jess says:

Ugh I’m not a big fan of mice either. In fact they freak me out completely. Glad you are now rodent free!
    Exciting that your baby is so close to arriving!

• Jillian says:

Thanks Jess! I’m ecstatic to be rodent-free. Could not take the constant worrying about whether he was going to do something creepy like crawl over my foot or something. Gross.

Yes, it is exciting, thank you! I can hardly believe she’s almost here!

6. ashley says:

Your sister’s dress is one of the best I’ve seen :)

Is the baby due the end of June, then?? I am so excited for you and I really think you’re taking all these changes gracefully considering the fact that you moved/are pregnant/was maid of honor in your sister’s wedding/had to deal with rodents. THAT IS A LOT!!!!

• Jillian says:

Yes, at the end of June! And now that you say it, that IS a lot to deal with, isn’t it? May has been cuh-razy for me. And I still have one more wedding to attend before the month is through (luckily, I’m not in it though Bob is). I’m thankful for this upcoming 3-day weekend to say the least.

7. Emily says:

GAHHHH!!! The mice thing would’ve freaked me out too. Nobody wants to get scared by critters when you’re just trying to LIVE. Invest in a cat 😀 j/k

Your sister looked GORGEOUS on her wedding day.

and yes, unfortunately there comes a point where you have to get the stretchy pants, but it’s all temporary :)

• Jillian says:

Ha! I know you’re joking, but I totally considered it!

Re: stretchy pants: Yes, that’s true. I’m hoping that I can at least wear some of this stuff afterwards too. It
      would be a shame to have bought all that to just wear a handful of times, if that!