let’s play catch-up

me and the boys

On the weather:

August, for the most part, has been feeling a bit chillier so I’m really happy that this week we’re getting back into the true feel of summer and reaching temps in the mid 80s again. Which means, I’m making the most of wearing as little as possible. It’s nice to be able to quickly pull on some shorts and slip into sandals. It’s one of the reasons why I love this season so much. It’s so easy and laid-back.

walking

On giving up sugar and alcohol for a month:

Next month, Bob and I will go completely alcohol and (processed) sugar-free. The sugar will be the toughest  because we’ve gotten into this habit of getting peanut butter fudge ice cream after dinner every weekend (and it’s gooood). While there’s nothing wrong with a little sweet here and there, I really want to challenge myself to make healthier creative desserts using only natural sweeteners like raw honey, dates and maple syrup. The alcohol will be a cinch though. I stopped drinking in July and still going strong! This isn’t permanent by any means. Goodness no.

On the prospective new home:

No news on the house yet. Apparently, a short sale—which is what this is—is another word for long sale. We’ve put down the offer and the bank will take weeks—weeks!—to get back to us with an answer. If we have to re-negotiate, it’ll take another few weeks. Our lease is up in December, so it’s not like we don’t have the time. But if this process takes longer than that, which it very well can, we may have to renew the lease, which means higher rent (boo!) but more time in Queens (yay!). Of course, we’ve been keeping an eye out for other prospects but so far, nothing else has really caught our attention yet.

playing catch

On the new blog makeover:

I wanted something a bit more stylish, but clean, minimal and responsive. You like?!

monkey bars

On the weekend:

We celebrated Bob’s grandmother’s birthday over the weekend. It’s funny because she’s kind of averse to new technology but every year, someone gets her something high-techy that she has to learn to use. Last year, we gave her a Kindle. We knew it was a risk, but we decided on it anyway. She may not know how to purchase a book online (Bob’s mother does that for her), but she knows how to turn the page and that’s really all you need to know when it comes to the Kindle. She likes it. Or at least, that’s what she tell us. This year, Bob’s uncle got her a Keurig, which upon opening she laughed and said, “What am I going to do with this? I already have a coffee machine!” “But this one makes one cup at time which is perfect for you!” we all explained.  Bob showed her how to work it and if you have a Keurig, you’ll know it’s pretty simple to figure out. Here’s to learning new things! Now, if we can get her into texting…

trio

Bob and I were supposed to babysit the boys last Friday, but since my sister ended up taking off the whole week anyway, we decided to have a little family outing with all of us instead. I invited them to come to Astoria park. I knew they would enjoy the bright open space, the bridge views and the playground. And they did! The boys had a lot of fun, despite a few “misunderstandings” here and there (see below*).

*Parenting in action: “No hitting your brother!”

parenting

( ↑ Taken from Bob’s Instagram)

Bob waits on the sidelines while someone gets a talking-to.

bob

But then we were back to business as usual: monkey bars and slides for the kids, while we looked along and chatted about So You Think You Can Dance (Ricky for the win!).

slide

rain clouds moving in

bob carrying mase

And that’s all I got for now. How was your week?

12 responses to “let’s play catch-up”

1. I am very curious (and kind of selfishly so) to hear what happens with the house purchase. Crossing fingers for you that it works out! New site design looks great! Clean and sharp! (Those are some very cute boys btw.)

• Jillian says:

Thank you Jenn! I’ll definitely update this space with all the goings-on in my house-hunt. I find that I’m learning SO much from this process.

I did the no alcohol thing for a few months this summer and was a little surprised to see how big of a role it played in my social life (eeps). If I learned anything from that, it’s that moderation is doable and that a firm “no” is an acceptable answer most people will respect

• Jillian says:

OMG yes. But I’m finding that I’m coming up with different things to do besides going out for drinks and that’s kinda’ cool. It’s definitely weird when I go out to dinner with all my friends and I’m the only one drinking water but no one gives me flack about it. Although there are some weird looks and questions like, “Soooo, you’re really not going to have ANY wine?” Haha.

3. Rebecca says:

Ah still waiting on news of the house – annoying! It’s the most nerve-racking thing waiting on the news. Fingers crossed.
    Good luck with giving up alcohol & sugar! Excited to see how it goes! I’m trying to do that too, it’s hard when there’s sugar in foods that are so easy to get to.
    Lovely photos, I love NYC.

• Jillian says:

Yes it is! I’m feeling very antsy about it. It’s like, can we get this house already?! Like now?!

And thank you! I’m excited to see how it goes too. It’s definitely difficult because it seems like EVERYTHING has processed sugar in it. Things that no one would even think! But I think we can be successful if we just plan ahead. Good luck to you as well!

4. ashley says:

You forgot to mention your haircut, duh!!!

I like the layout, mucho. Um, where would you get this peanut butter fudge ice cream. The sugar you will give up I will take!

• Jillian says:

Oh right! Hahah. The peanut butter fudge ice cream is the best peanut butter ice cream I’ve ever had, hands down. And I’m weirdly VERY picky about peanut butter desserts.

5. Alyssa says:

Just wanted to say I love reading your blog (I try a lot of the recipes you post). Also, I bought a short sale in 2009 (after the market crashed) and put the offer down in October, which the bank approved the following APRIL. I hear it has gotten much better in recent years though. Best of luck to you–I hope it works out! :)

• Jillian says:

Whoa, really?! That’s a long time. Wondering if that was the length it took for them to accept your initial offer or if there was a negotiation process during those months (?). I’m hoping and crossing my fingers that you’re right and it’s gotten better recently.

Thank you so much Alyssa!

6. enid says:

Keep looking for other home options though. Short sales can take up to 6 months or more and most fall through. Banks play never ending games with dedperate sellers, realtors and hopeful buyers. Good luck!