thoughts on friday night lights and other updates

smiles

So I’ve started watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix and I really love it. Every episode has my emotions being pulled in different directions. I find myself tearing up at Jason’s every triumph or hoping Tyra gets into college or wishing Tami was my guidance counselor or rooting for  Coach Taylor to win on the field and at life. I love how real the characters are with all their faults and redeeming qualities, their proud moments and the moments that make you want to cringe and yell out at them, “Seriously, why are you doing that?!” And Tim Riggins? Now that’s a good-looking guy.

I’ve been reading Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, which is such an eye-opener of a book. I’m in about three chapters deep, but I’m going to go ahead and recommend it anyway. If you’re curious about what is in processed food and the ways companies get you to eat what they want you to eat, then you should pick this one up. I feel it’s neccesary to note that this isn’t a diet book or a guide to good health. It’s investigative journalism into the food industry and it is fascinating.

As a birthday gift to eachother, Bob and I have decided to go half on a new camera. It’s smaller and more compact than the SLR I have now but doesn’t sacrifice on picture quality. Although I’ll still use my old Nikon D3000, I’m looking forward to carrying around something lighter and less bulky. Happy birthday to us!

I stopped running. The first run was invigorating. The second was okay. The third was pure torture. There wasn’t a fourth.

7 responses to “thoughts on friday night lights and other updates”

Awww, it’s easy to get burned out with running. Maybe alternate it with some of your other work outs?

2. ashley says:

What is the brand/model of the new camera? That book sounds fascinating, indeed! The whole industry is interesting, and I love that we’ve been questioning it all in the last few years!

And I still do endorse Netflix watching, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of life 😉

• Jillian says:

It’s a Nikon J1. I’m playing with it as I type this. It’s small, light and I got it a great price. The downside is that it probably won’t do as well in low light. I’ll have to experiment with it and see.

3. lena says:

Couldn’t agree more about Salt Sugar Fat–such an fascinating read!

4. Amanda says:

I LOVE Friday Night Lights. For the longest time my friend tried to convince me to watch it and I refused. It just seemed too high-school-soap-opera-y to me. And then she forced me to watch the first couple episodes with her and I still thought that. And then I kept watching and fell in love. I think my Nan said it best: “It’s not just about football. It’s a love story and a family story, too.”

• Jillian says:

What made me not want to watch it initially was the fact that it seemed like a show too focused on football. I don’t watch sports, so it didn’t appeal. But I’ve heard from so many people that it was great and that I HAD to watch it. Of course I agree now that it’s a family/love story, much more than it is about sports. But much to my surprsie I get reeeeally into the football scenes. Go figure.

5. Maddy says:

I loved Friday Night Lights! Ack! I love everything Jason Katims & co does – have you seen Parenthood? That’s the same people! Try it, you’ll love it I think.

Also, I LOVE SALT SUGAR FAT. The foods and the book, ha. That book seriously opened my eyes to lots of things – I first listened to it on audiobook (so interesting!) and then bought myself a paperback copy to go back through. I haven’t started my second reading yet but I’m going to soon.