i think this might be the year of trying new things

me

This probably should have been a New Year’s day post, but then again, I hadn’t thought then what I think now: it’s The Year of Trying New Things! I’m excited by this realization because I am a person who generally loathes change. Rather, I crave comfort and stability, while change makes me nervous and uncomfortable. But I’ve noticed that even the tiniest shift makes way for bigger, sometimes better, things.

I’ve started running. It.Is. Hard. Running with the proper form, i.e. not landing on your heel, doesn’t come naturally to me, so this is a challenge because a.) I’m very aware of maintaining the correct posture and b.) I’m very much out of shape. My calves have never felt so sore. But! I like it. I can’t speak to how I’ll feel about it in a few months, as I have a tendency to get bored easily, but for now, I’m enjoying the workout. Plus, running in the fresh air beats slogging away on the soulless elliptical any day. Now, if the weather could just get a little warmer…

Journaling isn’t so much a new thing as it is something I’m picking up again. I’m hoping to gain more self-awareness and insight while I’m at it, but mostly I’m happy just knowing the memories that are too easily forgotten will be preserved on paper. It’s also freeing to know that I don’t have to adhere to any grammar rules or structure!

Every week, I like to cook something new for dinner. There’s no shortage of amazing food blogs, so I’m constantly inspired to try new and creative ideas. This week, I’m obsessed with this healthy food blog and I’ll be making her Raw Taco Fiesta tonight! Usually, the meals result in deliciousness. Occasionally, I’m disappointed, like the time I attempted pad Thai or that one-pan coconut noodle bowl thing. I guess Thai food just isn’t my strongest suit.

I’m taking on more responsibility at work. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I don’t aspire to be in a position of power or managing people. I’m a loner and prefer to be responsible for my own work. It’s also largly due to the fact that I already feel challenged every day. On the other hand, I like learning new tasks, as it makes me feel smarter, more competent and better able to perform confidently. Bonus: more responsibility has really paid off 😉

Bob and I will be moving from our first apartment together, maybe this year or the next. It’s bittersweet. We’re looking for a bigger space with more amenities. A washer and dryer on the premises is my dream! That will be a welcome change. Most likely, this won’t be in Astoria, where we currently live (and love) and I’m slowly coming to terms with that. Whether it be New Jersey (it will likely be New Jersey) or another part of Queens remains to be seen.

After feeling closed off and a little lazy for so long, I’m learning to open my mind more to possibilities in the present. This year so far has me feeling grateful and hopeful.

12 responses to “i think this might be the year of trying new things”

New things can be wonderful old things that are enjoyed later – I’m glad that you’re enjoying running and hopefully the weather will cooperate with you. Best of luck on the new place

2. Janey says:

Go for it!!! very inspiring…

3. I do actually enjoy changes a lot and yours sound all wonderful and exciting. So good for you that you decided to embrace them and take them positively.

4. ashley says:

Great post. I’m trying to see the possibilities in my hometown after a year of extreme change. The hard thing about change is once you start, you sort of crave it! I’m trying to currently be ok with being still.

I don’t know how you started the running thing. I just…ugh, running.

5. Laura says:

Loved this. I like familiarity too, and it is a challenge to push myself to change and grow. It’s inspirational to see other people like you doing it, and it gives me the motivation to make it happen for myself!

6. Nancy says:

This post made my day! You are sitting in front of my old building in Forest Hills. Miss living in The city. Forest Hills is a great town.

7. i admit–i’ve never been a runner, unless there’s running from a fire. does that count? 😉
    i can’t imagine not living with a w&d in the apt! i know you’ll love that.

8. It’s so funny, because I too started running again and we just talked about journaling over on our blog. Great minds! The running is so very hard and the hardest part…if you take a week off it feels like you’re starting the whole thing over again :/

Took a blogging break and was super excited to return to your blog. Look forward to reading more. :)

9. Lauren says:

This was really moving to read. All this new and trying things is great! Running IS hard! I go back and forth about it because I’d *like* to be a runner, but… shrugs. I can walk for days. With my back acting up, I’m doing neither at the moment. No good. And moving is good and hard. I think you’ve got it just right, bittersweet. XO

congrats on the running (and the more responsibility at work!) they both sound like things that are challenging you in good and bad ways (making you grow, but some stuff about it isn’t your favorite). it’s important to have things like that in life, i feel like those things always make me more aware of who i am and what i want.

also about the moving – good luck in your search! brian and i struggle a lot with the same issue – it’s just hard to live in this region and sacrifice so much and pay so much for…so little sometimes. the locations and the neighborhoods make up for it, but sometimes i just want to live somewhere with central air and no bus running by and a washing machine. i totally understand you on this.

• Jillian says:

YES! I’ve been living most of my life having to walk my laundry over to the laundromat. This is by far, my least favorite chore. Thank you for the good luck. I’ll need it 😉 I’m currently trying to figure out what means more to me – cool neighborhood (i.e. tiny apartment) or more space (i.e. living in the ‘burbs).