another year down…

happy new year bw

Before we talk New Year’s goals (and really what is a post on New Year’s Eve without some kind of resolution or goal?), I’d like to note that this week I will indulge in some creamy pasta,  a butter-drenched steak, a meatball hero, whipped potatoes, a big hunk of stinky cheese, chocolatey desserts and possibly several glasses of wine and champagne.

Then! Bob and I go PALEO for a month starting next week. Or more accurately, we attempt to. It’ll be an experiment in health and habits and a way to assess what we can and can’t live without.

During and after Paleo Month, both of us will cut back on sugar – even on the weekends (!) which is totally new territory for us- and that will be an ongoing thing. If you’ve been following for a while, you know my weakness for all things sweet. Though with eachother’s support, I think it’ll be much easier for us to kick the sugar addiction. I’ve been back and forth for years. There are weeks when I do well and there are weeks where I need to have a big black & white cookie right after dinner every single night. Like a fiend. I’d love to not crave the sugar as much as I do.

So here’s to a new year and better habits. I hope.

Cheers!

8 responses to “another year down…”

good luck! i also struggle with a sweet tooth, but what i find really defeating is how sugar seemingly naturally occurs in like…every damn thing. except meat, haha! i do a pretty good job of avoiding sweets but the christmas season has been totally different…looking forward to getting back in the saddle in 2014. i can use you as inspiration!

• Jillian says:

Thank you! And yes, it IS really crazy how sugar is in pretty much everything. I don’t think I’m going to be so concerned with wherever it appears naturally, at least not yet. For right now, I’m going to try to limit my consumption of where it appears unnaturally, i.e. OREOS! Ugh, I’ve been so obsessed with Oreos lately too.

2. Are you doing the Whole 30? It was really tough when we did it, but it was remarkable to see the difference in how we felt without the sugar! Good luck to you. Your stomach is going to get very flat if it isn’t already!

• Jillian says:

Good question. I was looking into it and trying to figure out if this was some kind of subscription service that you pay for. Forgive my ignorance! If it’s not, then I think that’s what we’re doing? It sounds about right. I was actually going to refer to your old posts because you’re the only person I know that did this for 30 days. I can learn a thing or two!

3. Laura says:

Wow good luck! Paleo would be so hard for me (I looove bread and cheese). Also I’m not a huge sweets person, but I feel like they are everywhere and I inevitably end up eating them. It would be so hard to cut them out completely. I’m so curious to see how it goes!

Gaahh, proud of you! Black and white cookies are my FAVOURITE and I resist the temptation to eat them and save it for only when I’m in New York. Enjoy the steak dinner :)

5. ashley says:

Happy New Year, Jillian!

Gosh, I feel ya on the sugar front. I have heard from those who have done paleo that you end up not craving sugar anymore! So cool if so :)

Have you been to Krystal’s blog? She had some good ideas for meals: http://www.avillagetown.com/2013/04/whole-30-favorite-meals.html