brunch and budgeting

brunch

Sunday morning. It’s the only day that I really feel a good brunch is in order. Since we’re cutting a few costs around these parts, I decided to bring the ‘eating out’ experience in. That is, have a glass of champagne because it makes it feel special and a little fancier. Mind over matter, people.

Bob and I have been attempting to save more money by eating out less on the weekends. At the moment, it’s a bit of an adjustment because we LOVE to go out (see here, here and here + a bunch others). It’s true, we are really very spoiled.

Sunday morning rolled around and instead of giving in to my usual greasy brunch craving at the café around the corner, I decided to create my own with some cheesy eggs, extra crispy corned beef hash and a glass of bubbly. We ate at the kitchen counter which was a rarity for us and made it feel like we were doing something new. It seems like such a no-brainer and yet we don’t do it very often. And so brunch at home from here on out! I’m hoping by stating it here, I’ll be more likely to stick to my word. Here’s to accountability.

We’ve also taken some other measures to cut costs and/or save money:

• Cancelled the cable last year and haven’t looked back since. We watch our shows on Hulu, Netflix or basic TV.
  • Started reselling my old and unwanted clothes to thrift stores, which give back cash or store credit.
  • We took our bucket of spare change to the coin counter at the bank and got back over $100 in cash!
  • I’ve stopped paying for magazine subscriptions and instead look out for any free offers on Twitter via Hey, Its Free! and other deal blogs. Currently, I’m getting Ladies’ Home Journal, Better Homes & Gardens and Everyday Living and I didn’t pay for a single one.
  • I’ve only been incorporating meat into about 1 meal per week, which drives down the cost of our weekly groceries. Also, I’ve started cooking more with dried lentils, which are ridiculously cheap and nutrient-rich. This recipe in particular is pretty great and ideal for lazy, chilly days.

11 responses to “brunch and budgeting”

Canceling cable was a big one but I applaud your decision. I end up watching a very limited show schedule so it would make sense. And lentils are one of my favourite recently – I had them Ethiopian style (with berbere sauce) and they were so good

• Jillian says:

I was really nervous about it at first, but the transition was super easy. I didn’t watch much cable to begin with anyway. It’s cool because now I watch TV with purpose, as opposed to surfing channels.

2. Shannon says:

Oooh would love for you to post some of your favorite meat-free dishes!! Meat is so ridiculously expensive!

3. Gloria says:

Now that Breaking Bad is over, we’re planning on chopping our cable too!

4. Laura says:

Good for you! It is SO hard to not want to eat out all the time… it’s easy, the food is good, and it’s an activity. But you’re right – eating in can be just as fun, and you don’t have to do something complicated. It saves so much money to eat mostly at home. This will push you closer to that goal of buying a house too!

5. Lena says:

John and I took meat off our grocery list years ago when we first moved to San Francisco, and it’s been such a great way to cut costs–and feel better, too! It’s hard to say no to those Friday night Indian dinners or Sunday brunches out though…I applaud you!

• Jillian says:

I do wish I could cut out meat from our grocery list altogether. I could easily go vegetarian during the week, but Bob has a hard time with it. He loves meat, so we compromise on having meat once (sometimes twice) during the work week.

6. Lauren says:

Oh how I would love to go chop chop to our cable. We have a 14 year old who is baseball mad, and it would be hard to give up MLB TV for that reason alone. Heck, he’s why we eat as much meat as we do too! :) In a few years he’ll be why our car insurance goes up. THAT’S why raising kids is so expensive!

such awesome ideas! when brian moved here we started to have breakfast in one day a weekend, and we love it. (trader joe’s applewood smoked bacon – get it. it is the best, best, best). i also never had a cable when i moved here but brian insisted on having it for sports. but yes – hulu and netflix are really all you need!