silly things as of late

happy

Photo taken in Vieques, Puerto Rico

OMG, remember AOL profiles? I was so into making my profile as cool and creative as can be on a weekly basis. I even did that weird uppercase/lowercase pattern thing, i.e. “ShOuT oUt To mY GiRlS!”. And put emo song lyrics in the “personal quote” box, which reflected my mood, i.e. pretty much anything from The Cranberries or Radiohead. I was such a cliché.

Saw an old friend of mine over the weekend that I hadn’t seen in years and he had a wife and nine-month old baby. Totally blew my mind and made me think, I’m at that age where the people I know are getting married and having kids. And then I thought, okay I’m at that age where people I know are getting married or having kids. Get over it already.

I have this mixed playlist on Spotify that includes Phil Collins, Limp Bizkit, Bonnie Raitt, Letters to Cleo, Bob Marley, Arcade Fire, Marilyn Manson, Fergie and Tears for Fears. A playlist for any mood, I say!

Is anyone watching True Blood? I have a serious thing for Warlow (although Eric will always have my heart).

They’ve implemented a new regular work-from-home schedule at my job and I am loving it. Working in my pjs is a dream.

Bob and I booked a short weekend trip to Cape May and it was like pulling teeth trying to get him to agree on the location. He has a weird prejudice against New Jersey and doesn’t consider anything in the state to be a “weekend getway”. I seduced him with words like “Victorian”, “very historic” “so relaxing” and “cozy bed and breakfast” several times before he relented. Cape May for the win!

The other day, I was reading Lolita on the train. A man asked if I was reading it for pleasure or academics and when I told him pleasure, he said it was good to see someone reading the classics just because. I felt super smart and proud of myself and vowed to continue with the classics. I started Emma by Jane Austen, but I stopped reading at page 20 to pick up a mindless book by Sophie Kinsella. And in case you’re wondering, Can You Keep a Secret? was hilarious and sweet. Recommended for a bit of fun and froth.

15 responses to “silly things as of late”

1. Emily Smith says:

Oooh, I tried to read Lolita for pleasure and it wasn’t pleasurable at all. That book still makes me cringe. But, yes the classics are worth reading for pleasure! Glad you got an agreeable vacation destination booked; sounds like a lot of fun!

• Jillian says:

I totally get what you mean. I felt like I was in the mind of a sick perv and it was extremely disturbing! I did like the writing though. The words and the sentences they formed were lovely. And the characters and their many layers and traits were interesting. I definitely wanted to know how it ended. If not for those, I wouldn’t have been able to finish it!

• Emily Smith says:

I feel you – because the prose and descriptive writing is captivating. I just wish that he had chosen a difference subject matter to display his creative talent!! You know what I mean?

• Jillian says:

Absolutely I do! I’m actually very surprised the book is so widely regarded and mainstream as it is. There’s a couple of movies based on the book too.

2. ashley says:

Yeah, I’ve been freaked out by the “People are getting married and having babies” thing for the last few years, so I should get over it too!

The best part about working from home is you can take a nap!

• Jillian says:

Haha! I wish! But I end up getting all type A and start furiously cleaning and trying to get stuff done on my lunch hour. It’s a sickness.

3. Lena says:

A regular work-from-home schedule?! Sounds amazing, as does the Cape May trip. Horray for NJ!

4. Your new work schedule sounds amazing! So happy for you Jillian! Cape May sounds awesome! Hope you guys have a great time.

Is True Blood a show I should get into or is that pretty much a death sentence to my already miniscule social life?

• Jillian says:

It depends. It’s very heavy on the violence and sexual content. And you definitely have to suspend your imagination becausee there are SO many supernatural things going on , i.e. panther people, shapeshifters, mind-readers, etc. The good thing about it is that there’s only about 12 eps per season, so it’s not likely to take over too much of your life. Sometimes the side storylines (mostly in the later seasons) are pointless, in my opinion. But I love the show all the same. It’s dark, funny and sexy. Some of the characters are so bad-ass too.

6. Katherine says:

I feel ya! I feel like every time I turn someone gets engaged, or another Facebook fried ties the knot. I officially feel old – but how exciting! What a wonderful time of life we’re in:)

I’ll have to check out that new Sophie book. I’m such a fan of hers!

– Katherine

7. Jamillah says:

I kind of love this post all over :). I will not admit what we have in common on spotify, lol.

8. kate says:

YES! aol profiles! i used to change mine daily…so many emo quotes so little time. too funny! 😉

tears for fears foreverrrrr!!!!!!! and jersey is totally a getaway, wait until bob gets to cape may. i’ve had multiple friends have honeymoons or mini-moons there, it’s supposedly the best. can’t wait to hear how it goes!