gantry plaza state park

sun chairs

From Gantry Plaza State Park in Long Island City, you can see a beautifully crisp view of the eastern part of Manhattan, some of Roosevelt Island and the 59th Street bridge that connects some of us outer-borough folk to the hub. It’s a magical sight that you can stare at for hours. Bob and I spent a good portion of that afternoon just calling out the buildings and street names: “Is that the United Nations building?”, “There’s that building with the shiny gold top by 23rd street!”. I swear, it wasn’t as geeky as I just made it sound.

queensboro bridge

The park is just as gorgeous with its modern design, spaciousness and piers. On a hot Saturday afternoon, you’ll find people sunbathing on the lounge chairs or the perfectly manicured lawn. It’s quiet and deliciously breezy by the water—great for couple of strollers.

pepsi cola

lawnlong island

We ended the afternoon with a gut-busting lunch at the nearby landmark Waterfront Crabhouse, where, yes the seafood was amazing, but whooa the dessert! Let’s talk about this for a sec. Our very sweet waitress recommended a caramel-covered sugar cone filled with creamy cheesecake and let me tell you, heaven on a plate. Heaven on a plate! That needed repeating. Go there. Eat it. Report back (and tell me I was right).

13 responses to “gantry plaza state park”

1. Hannah says:

how amazing! love long island! especually the view to manhattan…. LOOOOVVVEEEEE!!

Okay nom, cheesecake?! Now I’ve got Junior’s NY Cheesecake on my mind

3. HaHa Jillian! I could go for Heaven On A Plate right now. Sounds delish! How fabulous is this! I would love to lay out and look at everything. So neat! Glad you enjoyed yourself. Have a great day doll!

4. Meg says:

Next time you get that dessert, I’m coming! haha but seriously, yum! sounds so good. I went to NY once and felt so lost the whole time. But in a good way. There’s just so much going on all of the time, so different from here in Utah. Love your blog :)

5. Rowena says:

I love to watch the sunset over Manhattan from Gantry State Park. And I think I need to visit the Waterfront Crabhouse next time :)

I definitely use alot more hair product when it’s humid and the styling cream from Living Proof does help.

Rowena @ rolala loves
    Enter my Firmoo Eyewear Giveaway!

6. ashley says:

I envision spending an afternoon there: me, my book and that view :)

7. Laura says:

Wow that looks like such an awesome view of the city! Maybe pointing out the buildings does sound geeky all typed out, but my husband and I would totally love doing the same thing!

8. Jamillah says:

Oh this is one of my favorite favorite places in NY. I also have amazing memories at this place from high school! we used to get on those rocks in the pitch black night, and sit there for hours. This of course was before the super beautiful face lift, when it was nothing more than just the gantries. Hope you got a hammock! That is my fave :).

• Jillian says:

Oh, that’s awesome! I remember high school nights like that, just hanging out at night and thinking we were so cool because we were out late. Only we were chillin at some ratty old playground behind our school on the UES with the bums.

You should definitely check it out now. It’s gorgeous.

9. Emily Smith says:

Those lounge chairs + the view = bliss.

10. Gabriella says:

That looks like the perfect little summer spot! What an incredible view.

What a pretty park! I’d love to have a beautiful place like that to hang out and get a different view of the city. And that dessert – sounds amazing! I wonder if there’s a way to replicate that at home. If you try it out, let us know :)