bridge and brunch

bridge2

My friend Tanya just got a fancy new camera, so she wanted to break it in by taking some pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge, and invited me along. I haven’t walked the bridge since 2010, when I first started this blog. And, oh goodness, I literally cringe every time I read that post. I mean, just bad, awkward writing. Who talks like that?! I want to hide in a corner.locks

manhattan bridge

Even with all the ongoing construction, the views are fantastic. Sure it’s crowded and you have a lot of angry cyclists yelling at pedestrians, “This is the bike lane, get out of the waaaaaay!”, but when you go into it prepared for all that (and maybe a smart-ass comment or two if someone gets exceedingly nasty with you), then it’s totally fine. But it also helps if you don’t actually walk in the bike lane. Not that we did that or anything, ahem.

midtown

We arrived in Brooklyn starving, so we walked to Vinegar Hill House for brunch and begrudgingly waited 40 minutes for a table. Let me tell you, worth the wait. I feel kind of silly saying this because just two weeks ago I raved about my “favoritest brunch“, but this…this made my life. Pear pancakes, perfectly cooked poached eggs atop smoked trout, sausage and bacon with just the right amount of crispness and some great coffee. It’s seasonal food so the menu’s constantly changing which is, when I think about it, a pretty cool way to get you to keep coming back for more. I’m sold. And yes, definitely coming back for more.

brunchWith all the walking we did that day, I’m surprised we made it over that bridge a second time. With that said, I slept so well that night and wasn’t at all guilty for skipping the gym either. I’ll take this over the elliptical any day.

bridge3

9 responses to “bridge and brunch”

1. Gloria says:

I’ve been to Vinegar Hill House for dinner, but I think I’ll have to go back for brunch! Looks delicious!

2. Lena says:

WOW–what an incredible looking meal!

3. Laura says:

this looks so fun. I have never been to NYC but walking the Brooklyn Bridge seems like a great way to view the skyline. And that brunch! YUM!

4. ashley says:

Oh god do I MISS American breakfast!!!!!! But I go back in like 3 months, so I won’t complain 😉

And your first post wasn’t so badly written, but I do laugh at the fact that you were one of those bloggers who didn’t believe in capitalization. hahaha 😀

• Jillian says:

Haha! Yes! I cringe every time I remember that. I thought I was being all cool and casual and rebellious by not capitalizing. Then one day, I thought, Errr…WHY am I doing this?

i feel the same way about getting out of the house and walking so much on the weekends! i need to get to vinegar hill house – we wandered around there one afternoon, but i need to get back for brunch. everyone says it’s amazing (also, i feel your pain on those early posts. yikes, colleen. just, yikes).

6. Nikki says:

My family is from Brooklyn and I dont think Ive ever walked the Bridge. Brunch is slowly becoming my favorite and I love hearing about new places to go when I visit NYC. Thanks for sharing

XOXO

beautiful bridge pictures! you always have such delicious descriptions and pictures of food. we need to go out for brunch more. i usually just end up making brunch at home but i think i need some new inspiration!

8. Melissa says:

Vinegar Hill House is on my list of places to try. I always forget about it because it is out of the way, but you make a pretty convincing argument to get my butt up there!