how come everything that’s bad for you tastes so good?

Bob and I have been really trying to kick our own asses when it comes to eating healthier, but the truth is I am addicted to the worst kind food. I’ve even been known to travel out of my way for a Krispy Kreme doughnut. And those 7-layer cookies above? Had to trudge through the snowstorm to get my hands on those (okay, Bob picked them up for me, but…). They deserve a post on their own and the funny thing is I did write a post about them, but then decided I was being a little too much of fat kid about it. It also might have been a tad too long for a love letter to a cookie. I’ve got to draw the line somewhere.

Moderation is a constant struggle. My obsessive personality rears its ugly head and as I pass the bakery, I turn into this one-track mind zombie that can only think about one thing. 7-layer cookies, 7-layer cookies, 7-layer cookies…

Lots of them!

Speaking of which, here’s a blog dedicated to finding the best of them in NYC. Though I haven’t tried all of them in the city, I’d cast my vote for La Guli‘s in Astoria. They are perfectly moist and soft, with just the right amount of sweet almond flavor and thin layers of delicious jam, sandwiched between glossy dark chocolate…

Okay, let’s stop talking about it.

——-

• I’ll never get on track if I keep looking at recipes like this.

10 responses to “how come everything that’s bad for you tastes so good?”

1. Sandra says:

Oh wow, the pictures by Kylie Woon are amazing! I wish I could to that…

2. Laura says:

You are the best. I love your random Friday links. Hope you have a great weekend, Jillian!

3. angela says:

Great post!! I really like the links shared.

I too love those cookies. They’re probably second to the black and white cookies that I eat EVERY TIME I’m in NYC (yes those huge ones that are oily, greasy and oh so good)

5. Amanda says:

I can totally relate – chocolate cupcakes are my weakness! Those seven-layer cookies look amazing too though, would love to try one.

6. ashley says:

THAT is a cookie?!?

You kind of did write a post on them :)

7. Laura says:

Just found your blog, and I love it. Oh sweet treats …example I’m already drooling over my keyboard at that image. I think the more you think I should be good, the more you tend to crave treats. I think my friend has the right idea, all week she’s good and eats really heathy and than eats what she likes at the weekend. Two days of being naughty is better than five. Life’s too short, not to enjoy food and have the odd treat. I’m from London and we have lots of cake shops and cafes ( that you usually go to for a fry up) really naughty. Haha x

• Jillian says:

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do! Eat healthy during the week and indulge on the weekends. But I found myself cheating a little during the week. And then all of a sudden, it was a cookie everyday.