boy bands

Excuse me while I look all aloof and cool by this toaster oven.

Last week, I was listening to a radio morning show and they were discussing the growing popularity of modern-day boy groups like One Direction and the other one that kind of looks and sounds like them (?). People, mostly teenage girls, go crazy for them. Some even go as far as faking marriage certificates! I thought to myself, I don’t understand what the big deal is. What’s the appeal?

So I logged onto Spotify and started listening to “Don’t Want You Back” by the Backstreet Boys, just to get a sense of perspective, but also because, duh, it’s a really good song.

Just then, total flashback moment:

{I’m in my room listening to the Z100 morning show on the radio. It’s the day I’ve been waiting for: Backstreet Boys is going to take over the show for an entire 4 hours! As I’m getting ready for school, I make sure to put in a blank cassette tape in my boombox which will record the show until the tape runs out. So excited to listen to this when I get home later! I go to school in a great mood.

I come back that afternoon, listen to the tape in its entirety and one thing that sticks out to me is that AJ McLean says he wears Joop cologne (I even remembered that, at first, he pronounced it ZHoop, then corrected himself and pronounced it with a hard ‘J’, like ‘JUPE’. He was a bit confused as to what to call it and I found it very endearing). I rip out a piece of paper from my notebook and write something along the lines of ‘MUST GET JOOP’.

That night, I’m talking to my friend Michael over the phone and I’m telling him how badly I want Joop. If only I could smell what AJ smells like! To know what it’s like to be physically close enough to him without actually being physically close to him. “I have that cologne”, Michael tells me. Jackpot! I then try to persuade him to give me his entire bottle of Joop. He says he’ll spray it on some paper and bring it in the next day. Good enough.

The next day, he hands me a piece of ripped composition notebook paper. I sniff it and swoon. It’s the best thing I’ve ever smelled. It’s warm and spicy and manly. It’s AJ! I vow to carry it with me wherever I go, so I can feel close to my favorite Backstreet Boy at all times. Totally normal.}

And then just like that, I got it.

I get it.

17 responses to “boy bands”

1. Gloria says:

This is absolutely hilarious!! Nick Carter was my fav!

2. Alyssa says:

This is absolutely adorable.
    I guess boy bands are there to quench the hormonal teenage angst of young girls. And thinking of it that way, you’re right…it just makes sense now.
    cuuute post!

3. Amanda says:

It’s an awesome song! {Bryan was my favourite}!

4. This story is so cute!! :) Looking back, AJ was definitely the coolest BSB. But, back then, like all the other dorky girls, I was all about Nick. Ugh. You were clearly way ahead of us. Lol.

Omg my mom developed this embarrassing crush on a 20-something guy at her gym 10 years ago (yeah, she’s married, haha) and went out and bought my dad the same Joop cologne the guy told her he wore. There’s something about that scent that drives women crazy! And all the hot guys knew it apparently. πŸ˜‰

• Jillian says:

Oh yeah, he was so cool with his sunglasses at night and baggy pants. Hahah! That story about your mom is so awesome. Yes, there’s something about Joop! I’m glad I wasn’t the only one in love with that scent.

DON’T WANT YOU BACK IS SUCH AN AMAZING SONG. Why did it not get more radio airtime?!

GOD I LOVE THAT SONG.

BSB FOR LIFE.

6. Miya says:

So, I just opened up my Spotify app and found Don’t Want You Back. Just like that I am transported back to 1999. It was almost like magic. I hereby declare today National Boy Band Appreciation Day. BSB, N’Sync, NKOTB, 98 Degrees, Boyz 2 Men… O-Town… anyone?

• Jillian says:

Ha! I love this!!! And oh my goodness, O-Town?! Didn’t they have a song called Wet Dreams or something like that? Absolutely hilarious.

Ha – sweet story, thanks for sharing (sweet as in totally cool and not sweet as in cloying). I still have my BSB cds and tshirts too :)

8. ashley says:

I watched a documentary on the making of boybands once. Basically, the industry knows that once you get a 14 year olf girl to be a fan, you get them FOR LIFE, i.e., I will always ALWAYS love Justin Timberlake. They got me young, and now I’ll pay into it, FOREVER. hahaha. Kind of sad, but so true!

9. shawnee says:

yes! so cute. i remember being in elementary school and listening to the backstreet boys every morning on the bus. i’m definitely a one direction fan.. they’re adorable. as well as the songs. xo

10. Jamillah says:

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA, omg that is an amazing story. i have a crazy fan boy band story with nkotb when i was 8, but i’ll tell you in life.

p.s one direction music is kind of a fave in the car w/ the bf.

11. Jess says:

omg, i just stumbled upon your blog via pinterest and this is the best post ever…i dont have tv or listen to the radio but while searching the internet a few weeks ago i came across one direction and was like”wtf is this?!” a few days later i noticed them on the cover of a mag while looking for the latest martha stewart at CVS and laughed out loud at how “dreamy” these boys were trying to be. later that day i too had a flashback moment and remembered how i had to have every teen mag with BSB on the cover! i was nuts! and years later in 2005(at the age of 18) BSB released a long awaited new album and went on tour! i had dreamed about seeing them live but never got the chance because well, i was 12 and didnt have $$ to buy tickets or a parent who was craazy enough to spend that kinda money. so i remember hearing on the radio tickets would be on sale the following day and telling my then boy friend how i wished i could afford to go. the next day he picks me up and says “i got you a graduation gift” i say”kinda late?!” (graduation was months ago)lol, and he pulls out two tickets to the Backstreet boys concert! i almost died! everyone made fun of us for months about going and i didnt expect much from the show but OMG my 12 year old self came out and i was in heaven! best concert ever! and that is really saying something, i mean i have been to A LOT of shows (including Radiohead, one of the best) but something about seeing them, it was truly like living out a fantasy, best day ever! πŸ˜€ p.s. sorry for the rant…i just had to share πŸ˜‰

• Jillian says:

Haha! Awesome! I was obsessed with BSB for a while there too. I think they’re currently touring with NKOTB, which is pretty perfect.

Also, I’m very jealous you got to see Radiohead in concert. I heard that they don’t play “Creep” live anymore because Thom Yorke hates playing it.

• Jess says:

haha! yeah i dont recall them playing creep, probably the same reasons Trent Reznor doesnt like playing Hurt live…i guess when you play a song for so many years, it gets kinda old.