winter doldrums

I guess the January blues are really a thing because boy, I’ve been feeling it. Aren’t I supposed to feel renewed, motivated at the start of the year? I’m generally a happy, optimistic person and that hasn’t changed. I still know how to laugh and have fun and live my life as I have been. But there’s this grey cloud always hanging over my head. I think it’s a combination of the major changes at my place of work, uncertainty about the future and finances, worrying about where I am and where I should be. It feels as though I’m stuck in the mud, while everyone else is passing me by with their growing families, budding careers and their grand 5-year plans. But then I remind myself that everyone has a different path and I’m just going at a different pace. This is not a race.

In the meantime, I’m taking some small comfort in retail therapy and introspective mid-day walks on my lunch break. The wonderful thing about January in the city is that midtown tends to be relatively empty (as empty as midtown can get anyway) so leisurely walks are a welcome change and a good time for reflection. And after that much-needed stretching of my legs, circulation of blood and the jolt of winter air that hits my face, suddenly I feel like it’s not that bad and I’m ready to go back and finish off the day with a better attitude…and chocolate-covered cranberries.

See, I told you I was an optimist.

Instagram @jillianm55

20 responses to “winter doldrums”

1. Winter blues is a very real thing…I feel it too. Thanks for sharing your perspective. It always makes others feel better when they know they’re not the only ones!

2. Megan says:

I think you should just let be and Let God! (cliche, I know, and sorry about it). But with all your uncertainties, you can just turn to Him!

Hope everything will turn out for the best. Amazing photos btw!

• Jillian says:

Things do have a way of working themselves out (that’s a cliche too, I know). Whether it’s for the best or not remains to be seen! Thanks Megan!

3. Sandra says:

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling so great at the moment!
    I definitely know the thoughts you’re talking about. I felt really stuck and somehow without prospects when almost all of my friends finished university and started their careers, while I still had years to go (because I had to wait for a place such a long time and so on…).
    I keep my fingers crossed, that you’ll feel happy again on your own path soon!

• Jillian says:

It’s okay! I think we all have a tendency to get in our own heads about this kind of stuff. I went through something similar after college. I think some societies put a lot of pressure on people to know exactly what they want to do straight out of a college and pursue it. It just isn’t that easy, isn’t it? Thanks Sandra!

4. Maria says:

Right now, I’m feeling the winter blues as well. Mainly because I live in Southern Louisiana and for the first time in forever we’re actually having a winter. It’s not 60/70 degrees anymore. The highs are around 40.
    xo, Maria

5. Kim says:

The start of the year has been rough for me too Jillian. And you know how happy I can be. With everyday circumstances and this crummy weather (always raining) it surely doesn’t help. All I can say is stay positive, do small things to make you feel good, have faith and know behind every bad there’s good right around the corner.

6. Laura says:

A midday walk sounds like it would be so good for the soul… I should do that more often too. Sometimes a bit of sunshine & some fresh air are all we really need. Hope your winter blues fade out soon!

you could not describe the thoughts haunting me right now any better. i am literally going through the same exact things right now. i completely feel your pain – sometimes i feel like January brings it on because it’s this new year and you look around and feel like you accomplished in the year that just passed. and it brings that panic and that “what am i doing? my career! my family!” you’re not the only one feeling it. and i like to remind myself what is going right and figuring out what’s wrong and how i can try to change it and realizing that even if it takes a year to change, that’s ok. change isn’t automatic and it doesn’t mean i have to panic. here’s hoping it passes for both of us soon!

8. hope your mood and the weather brighten up soon!!! have a nice one!

9. Shannon says:

Strange as it may sound, I almost kind of wish I had at least a little bit of the winter blues. I live in Florida and it’s been in the 80’s everyday for the past couple of weeks. I seriously haven’t worn a coat or anything at all this “winter”! Either way, Cheer up Jillian! :)

Shannon
    Shannon Loves Design
    Fabulously Vintage

10. Ginny says:

thank you sooo much for posting this!!! i am feeling the same. the january blues (that has hit me super strong this year) and the

11. Cara says:

Hey sweet lady! Thanks for the SUPER encouraging comment on my blog post about my sugar cleanse! xoxoox

12. Hello, chocolate covered cranberries makes everything all better!! Yep, the January blues are around here too (2 F today in Ottawa Canada…brrrr.) – but we are pressing on. Our super green smoothies in the morning are helping to keep our vitamin levels up so we don’t take a dive into SADS. Wishing you sunshine and fabulous sales!

13. ashley says:

well shoot, if people have a 5 year plan I must be the biggest slacker in the world.

14. […] year I mentioned that 2013 started off on somewhat bumpy footing for me (it turns out 2013 unfolded similarly for others). In an effort to change this and regain my footing I set about making some goals for myself (and […]

I have definitely been feeling the January blues, too! We had so much rain here recently, so at least the sun and blue skies have helped my mood a little. There’s just something about January that makes me want to eat lots of chocolate and do lots of shopping… not a good combination!