tween at heart

So, my sister Janey and I have this tradition: when a Twilight movie opens, we’re there opening weekend.

Even as a fan of the books, I can’t say the movies were all that impressive. But it’s fun and I have a loyalty to the story, so I dig it anyway.

This particular time, I wasn’t terribly excited for the Breaking Dawn, Part 2. It’s been a while since I last read the novels and with all the years of hype surrounding the films, I was feeling a little…over it.

BUT – and don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything here – part 2 made me fall in love with the series all over again. I found myself completely immersed in the movie, just as I was when I read the books. Within the last half hour of the movie, something REALLY SHOCKING happens! The entire theater breathed a collective gasp and I turned to Janey, eyes wide open and scream-whispered, “I can’t believe what just happened!!!”. There were definitely¬† times when I forgot to exhale.

Immediately after the movie, I called Jen and basically screamed in her ear, told her I was “literally dying” and demanded she hurry up and see the movie already so we can discuss in great depth and length. As I type this, I realize I might have reacted a bit dramatically. So be it.

So now that movies are done, I kind of feel like I did when I finished reading the series (my feelings about it are pretty much summed up in the meme above). It’s the way I felt after reading Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. What can I say? I love my YA fiction.

18 responses to “tween at heart”

1. ashley says:

I won’t lie, I totally got into the books back in the day! So now you’ve peaked my interest!!! Hmmmm…I have to go buy a ticket I suppose…

• Jillian says:

Do it! I mean, if you’ve read the books and have been following the movies all along, then you’re likely to get really into the last film. If not, then…? I’ve been reading a ton of negative reviews, but only from critics who had no interest in the books.

2. SoNa says:

In the books, no doubt, more details than in the movies. I have not watched Twilight, before we have not got it. I do not like the way Stephenie Meyer writes, and I only read the last book. Therefore, I think the movie more interesting.

3. laia says:

Although in not a huge fan of the vampire twilight series, I understand your feeling regarding the books, loved the quotes you used for this post.
    Kisses

I am way way way too familiar with the sense of book hangover :) It’s really fun to lose yourself in a series, particularly if you have a friend (or sister) to share it with

5. Kim says:

So glad to hear it was really good! I always worry about that! I haven’t seen it yet. Theaters were mad busy crazy here, but I plan on seeing it. Loved the other ones. Thanks so much for your comment. It really touched me. Have a great week!

6. kendra says:

YA fiction is the best. I try to mix in “Big Kid Books” but they just don’t compare… ya is where it’s at.

7. Corinne says:

Haha I think the same would happen to me if I went to see it now. It’s been so long since I read the books, and I didn’t go see the last movie, but I bet I’d get sucked right back in! :)

Life etc

8. Cecilia says:

Finally I found out how to express when I finish a good book: BOOK HANGOVER!! :)
    Cecilia

I have not seen either of the Breaking Dawn movies, but this post makes me want to! I have not been that impressed with the movies, either (the books are just always better!), but if the last one is that good maybe I will have to see it :) I love all of these memes that you shared – I am the same way about books! Other books that have totally sucked me in are ones by Kate Morton – particularly The Forgotten Garden. SO good!

• Jillian says:

In my opinion, the first Breaking Dawn movie wasn’t all that good (but necessary). The second – well, you know my feelings on it already, haha.

I’ve never even heard of Forgotten Garden. I just looked it up and I’m very intrigued!

those totally explain how i felt when i was done with the hunger games. no shame!

11. I lost at least a week of my life reading the books (I got totally sucked in) but the movies didn’t impress me at all – of course it doesn’t help that I watched them with my husband who sniggered the whole way through. I thought Breaking Dawn Part 1 was so bad that I sort of gave up on them but this has me really intrigued!! Was the shocking bit part of the book or did they just add that to the movie?

• Jillian says:

Yeah, part 1 wasn’t great. The second part was a lot better. You might as well go and see it, espcially if you’ve watched all the others!

The shocking part was NOT in the book! That’s what made it so crazy.

12. Hahaha! Isn’t SomeEcards just the best???

13. There is a plugin that you can use which limits the number of
    drafts that WordPress will save. Do all the research you can and know how their customers feel about them before paying for any services.
    Besides speeds, multiple tasks is declared to be the excellence of this service.