5 sneaky ways to hide your junk

As much as I’d love to live like a true minimalist, it just ain’t my steez. However materialistic this sounds, I have THINGS. Sunglasses, gift-wrapping paper, binder clips, magazines, makeup, clothes…you know, things.

I didn’t even realize how much and how quickly things accumulate until Bob and I moved in together (my stuff + his stuff = one hot mess). It’s been almost a year and while we’re still figuring out what’s important to keep and what to toss, we’ve picked up some neat storage ideas to keep the clutter in check.

1. Storage Bed (or captain’s bed)

This bed is my savior. Savior, I tell you! I know for sure that apartment-dwellers can commiserate with the fact that there is NEVER ENOUGH CLOSET SPACE. So what do you do (besides get a dresser because that’s not going to cut it either)? You get a bed that has deep drawers and cabinets built in…on both sides. Genius. Mine is from Gothic Cabinet and  it’s one of the best investments I’ve made yet.

2. Vintage Display Suitcases

I’ve talked about these before. At the moment, they’re being used as a “let’s throw all of our bills and magazines in here when people come visit so they don’t know what a mess this place really is” storage. It also holds my laptop, which is a nice change from it being on the floor all the time.

3. Hanging Clear Shoe Organizer

You know those little items you have no place for? This clear shoe holder is where it needs to go. It’s so much more efficient than throwing everything into one junk box, only to have to rummage through it later. Mine hangs on the inside door of a closet and I usually keep things like cables, office supplies, extra shower curtains and eyeglasses tucked in the pockets. This idea was found here via Pinterest.

4. Makeup Storage Case (or in my case, Caboodles):

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from Pinterest, it’s that women are always looking for convenient and efficient ways to store their makeup. I use a makeup storage case to hold my cosmetics so that it’s all in one place and I can carry it with me anywhere I feel like doing my makeup that day. Sometimes, this happens to be the floor of my bedroom – it’s got the best light, after all.

5Storage Ottoman

Or as I like to call it, the graveyard for remotes. Wii remotes, X-Box remotes, remotes for days (all his , not mine). But if they’re sneakily stored in the ottoman, it saves me the eyesore of a dozen of them just strewn about.

10 responses to “5 sneaky ways to hide your junk”

1. Shannon says:

I LOVE those suitcases! What a great idea! If it gets a little too messy… just close the top! Brilliant!

2. Monica says:

#3 is fab for art supplies too, or kid’s craft things etc…
    i’m also a big fan of drawers in beds. not aesthetically i have to admit, but certainly practically. and hideaway ottomans, yes!
    we’re moving soon into a closet, called a house. it’s going to be interesting.

• jillian m. says:

#3 is good for pretty much anything that’ll fit. And yes, I wasn’t too pleased at first with getting a bed with drawers in it, but it was either that or sleep with a giant pile of clothes on my bed. I chose the former, obviously (ha). I think if it’s it’s a dark wood finish, it’s pretty tolerable.

Once you move into your “closet”, you’ll probably find yourself the expert on space-saving after a few months of having to deal with it! Good luck to you!

3. Jane says:

I definitely have way too much clutter in my room… love the old trunks idea, and the shoeholder for non-shoes. I like to keep nice look shoe/anything boxes and hide all the knick-knacks that I don’t want to throw away in them!

4. maneet says:

Way to go! I have also over a period of time come to a solution of sorts for all the mess around. It is good to see how others manage things too!

5. Katarzyna B. says:

Good ideas :) I love a much things to have, too 😀 You inspire me.

These are great tricks! I really like that bed with all the storage. I’m thinking we will need to get these for our kids one day… I hate when toys are everywhere so this would be an easy way for them to pick them up! Sticking your laptop in the vintage suitcase is also a really good idea. I hate that mine is always around but putting it away in the office every day seems like a hassle.

7. Lena says:

Thank heaven for sneaking storage spaces! We have a lot of closets, thank goodness, but at our first party, I caught a friend peeking into our bedroom closet–he told me he was looking for our stuff!

I really need a storage bench / ottoman for all the randomness that makes its way into my living room