home, home, where the buffalo roam

“I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.” – Maya Angelou

After any kind of day, whether it was stressful or wonderful, when I finally get home, a wave of relief pours over me. I don’t have one of those apartments you’ll find in any fancy interior design magazine. We’ve got $5 blinds, chipped dishes, no table chairs and a sofa we both have grown to despise. My point being that aesthetics have little to do with it. It’s a feeling. A kind of safe, untouchable feeling.

I like to be a homebody. When feasible, there’s one day out of the week, that I absolutely must be home all day. Small errands are allowed like grocery shopping and things around the neighborhood, but for the most part, I’m home. It’s the most relaxed I am all week. And I need it because I believe that it has a restorative effect, like sleep.

“My home…It is my retreat and resting place from wars, I try to keep this corner as a haven against the tempest outside, as I do another corner in my soul.Michel Eyquem De Montaigne

14 responses to “home, home, where the buffalo roam”

1. Shannon says:

I feel the same way as you do; there is just something so comforting about the serenity of your own home. I don’t mind being a homebody. :)

Shannon
    Fabulously Vintage

I’ve been a homebody for the entire month of July and now I’m itching to get out again. Funny how sometimes you really crave your bed and others, you just want to be anywhere else

3. Gloria says:

I’m the same way! Sunday is definitely a putter-around-the-house day :-)

4. Rowena says:

I’m with you Jillian. There’s nothing like spending a day recharging at home.

Rowena @ rolala loves

5. Natalie Clapp says:

This is so great! And I love your sheets!

6. Crystal says:

Hi! I’m a new reader and just wanted to stop in the comments here to let you know I love your blog and am looking forward to reading more!

And I’m a total homebody too. When I work Monday – Friday (which has been the case on and off for about 6 years), I NEED my Sunday at home all day just to stay in my pyjamas, do a bit of housework, and catch up on all the things I can’t do during the week (sleep in, enjoy my coffee and catch up on blog reading, take my dog for a long walk after lunch…). Luckily for me, nothing is open out in this rural area of France where I live, so I really have no choice but to spend Sundays at home!

Cheers,
    Crystal

7. maneet says:

I am also a total homebody! But considering that I stay at home, it should be opposite and I should be craving to go out. I do that by going gym, meeting friends etc. But then also one needs a day in a week when nothing is planned and you just let the day take you wherever it wants!

8. Anita says:

I couldn’t agree more! There is something about being in my own home that makes me feel right and at peace!

9. Lena says:

Gah–so glad I’m not alone in loving home! It’s a sanctuary I can’t find anywhere else.

10. To me that day is usually Sunday… Sort of to charge batteris for the week ahead.

11. Sarah says:

I LOVE being a homebody as well. This is probably why Sundays are my favorite days of the week. There’s definitely a balance though, between being too busy and being not busy enough. Too busy is more often the problem than not 😉

i feel the same wave of relief! i love my tiny little home, stained couch and all.

13. Stephanie says:

Totally agree :) I can never seem to get my kitchen as 100% sparkling as I’d like, my son’s toys are always in the prime walking areas for us to trip on, and I’m horrible at staying on top of the mail (which means lots of piles of paper… ugh). But there is something almost magical about the feeling we get watching the little guy play and make a mess. Mess or not, we generally would rather be here than anywhere else!