2 twists on classic egg dishes

I’ve been eating a lot of eggs lately. A lot.

It’s just that they’re always on sale, so we just keep buying and buying them, sometimes two cartons at a time. But after a while, having them the same way day after day can get a little repetitive and boring. So I started experimenting with ways to make eggs tastier without smothering them in things like cheddar cheese and bacon grease. Although occasionally, I like that too.

The first experiment was with scrambled eggs. It was something Bob came up with one day when he was trying to figure out how to add turmeric to more dishes. If you haven’t heard of turmeric, then get to know it ASAP because it happens to be one the healthiest spices you can cook with (I first learned about it from our tour guide in St Lucia last year). It’s earthy and slightly gingery. A little goes a long way with this one.

Scrambled Eggs with Spices
Serves 1

2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon milk
1-2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper, to taste

Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
Add herbs, salt, pepper and milk and mix well with a fork or whisk.
Melt the butter on a low-medium heat in a pan.
Once the pan is hot enough, pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook.
Using a rubber spatula, keep folding and pushing the eggs around until desired cooking time (I like to take them off the heat and quickly transfer them to a plate when they are still very soft and just a tad undercooked – they will keep cooking if you leave them for a minute or two).

The next is a spin on egg salad. I really like this one because I’m a big believer in avocados making almost anything taste better. Plus, it makes the eggs look a little green and that reminds me of one of my favorite books from childhood.

Avocado Egg Salad (adapted from Healthy Food For Living)
Serves 1-2

3 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled (one yolk removed)
1-2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 ripe Hass avocado, peeled and diced
salt and pepper, to taste

In a bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayo and avocado.
Slice the eggs and put in mixture.
Mash and mix gently until desired consistency (I like mine chunky).
Add salt and pepper to taste.

13 responses to “2 twists on classic egg dishes”

1. Megs says:

I love adding a bit of bite to my scrambled eggs, and normally use parika! Also a bit of lemon juice! It just makes it so tasty.

Thanks for sharing these recipes!

2. trish says:

Thanks so much for the tips; I could live on eggs, and especially in this hot weather. I love adding red pepper flakes to mine, as well as a dash of curry powder. BTW I’ve been meaning to let you know that I really enjoy following your blog since I discovered it a few months ago, and I’ve got it linked on my sidebar. I love your enthusiasm for life:)

• jillian m. says:

Thank you so much, Trish! You’re so sweet.

I could live on eggs too. They’re just so damn easy and versatile.

3. Milynn says:

Yum! I used to never like eggs, something about the smell of it. I started eating it after realizing that I could just pack it with different spices to get over the smell. I’ve never tried it with turmeric, I’ll have to try that next time.

Love & Whimsy

4. kendra says:

both recipes sound delicious — i’m a sucker for egg salad, i’ll have to throw some avocado in there next time. you can never go wrong with avocado, right?!

5. Adriana says:

I really have to try both recipes. My husband and I eat a lot of eggs as well! They’re just so simple to make.

-Adriana
    Little Petite

6. Lena says:

These sound delicious! Lately I’ve been loving scrambled eggs with sauteed onion, chives and gruyere, or poached on top of smashed avocado toast–yum!

You know, I bet my mom would really like that avocado egg salad recipe. I’m totally passing it on to her

8. Gina says:

Oh wow, that looks amazingly delicious! lovely blog.

xo

9. Love the eggs with spices idea… Perfect for a Sunday brunch!

10. maneet says:

Cooking eggs with turmeric and other indian spices has always been my thing. Try browning some onion, then add some diced tomato and then the spicy egg mixture. I think you will like it! Thanks for the avocado recipe. One more thing to add avocado to! Yayee! :)