taste of home

My grandmother’s back in town! This means home-cooked Puerto-Rican meals and frequent trips to the Latin grocery store, i.e. Goya in every aisle, ha! I was seduced by the varieties of guava pastes, cola champagnes (it’s not what it sounds like) and coconut sodas. It took all my might not to clean out the shelves and bring back a Costco-sized load of everything.

She’s staying with my parents so they will be the ones to enjoy her fried plantains, rice with milk and rice & beans on the daily. I’ll have to make a point to get myself out there more often with plastic containers in tow, like the classy lady that I am.

My favorite are her arepas which is basically a variation of fried dough. Not only are they so good, but it’s a taste of my childhood (chocolate milk is also a contender). I have yet to try another that rivals hers. It’s just the right amount of crispness on the outside, pillow-soft on the inside.

I’m curious to know, is there any food or meal that brings you back to your childhood that you still enjoy now? Something that can’t be replicated as your mother/grandmother/whoever makes (or made) it.

Photobucket

14 responses to “taste of home”

1. Bekuh says:

Grandma's are the best, and your grandma's food sounds amazing. My mamaw used to make sourdough cinnamon rolls for us when we'd visit in the summers and I've never EVER had a cinnamon roll that can compare. She took that secret with her when she died and so cinnamon rolls will never be quite as delicious as I remember.

That sounds delicious. I don't think I've ever tried cinnamon rolls with sourdough – that's definitely interesting.

Oh there's tons that my mom and dad make that I can't replicate and remind me of childhood. I can barely cook any Chinese food at all. It's probably worth learning at this point!

4. Darianne says:

My grandpa made peach cobbler and he used a biscuit batter instead of making or using a regular crust, and added hazelnut and cinnamon to it. Really good.

5. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

Mmmm–my nanny used to make such wonderful Columbian dishes, and you took me right back to her kitchen! Her empanadas, Silver Queen corn from the farm down the road, and my mom's chicken soup definitely take me home.

pancakes, made by my grandpa. and my dad i would cook breakfast together every sunday after church to continue the tradition of dads cooking breakfast on the weekend. and my grandma's ginger snap cookies. i haven't thought of these things in so long! thank you for the reminder.

7. Shoko says:

I recently tried arepas and I am obsessed! They are the perfect food. You're so lucky your grandmother can make them from scratch! :)

8. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

Mmmmm… I really like the sound of guava paste and coconut sodas! My grandmother is a hopeless cook, her cooking actually still gives me nightmares! My aunt’s cooking, on the other hand, will make you weep with joy. She does a mean full English Sunday roast dinner with the crispiest, fluffiest Yorkshire puddings I have ever tasted!

I'm right with you. I really need to learn how to make some Puerto Rican food.

Intriguing! That I would love to try.

Ah, empanadas! LOVE.

What a great tradition you guys had. That sounds like such a sweet way to get quality time together. And you came out with something yummy in the process. Score.

Ha! Poor grandma!

Enjoy the time with your grandma in town! I definitely would be heading to your parents for good food, leaving with leftovers in tow! I love everything that my mom makes – even when I make the same recipe, I feel like mine doesn't turn out just like hers. I have a theory that food cooked by someone else always tastes better because you didn't have to put the work into it!