secret single behavior

Or SSB, as Carrie Bradshaw put it.

It was the episode where Aidan moves in and Carrie reluctantly comes to terms with having someone else in her space. She felt she could no longer freely snack on her stacked saltines, while standing up in the kitchen and reading Vogue. She’d too embarassed having a man see her indulge in such a weird ritual.

Personally, I don’t find that to be too bad. My boyfriend has seen me do much stranger things.

It got me thinking about my own SSB. What behaviors have I acquired over the years that I’d be a little embarrassed to have Bob see me do? Now that we’re living together, we’ve gotten a pretty good idea of each other’s quirks (that’s a nice way of saying “annoying habits”, by the way). But is there something else? Something unusual – like when Charlotte stared at her pores in the mirror for hours.

The thing is, Bob has some pretty bad habits himself, so I’m not really ashamed to do much in front of him. But here goes my list anyway:

1.)Sleep with tweezers under my pillow.Let me just say this: I do not do it anymore.  But my poor friend Jen once almost poked her eye out while she was sleeping in my bed once (good thing she had a sense of humor about it!). But when I was sleeping on my own, one side of the bed was usually covered in magazines, makeup tools, clothes, pens, you name it. I happily and comfortably always slept on the left side. There was room for both of us. As in me and my mess.

2.)  I practice my America’s Next Top Model poses in front of the full-length mirror. Sometimes, I’ll even put on heels for added effect. I’ve already perfected the hunch.

3.)When I’m cooking, I’ll pretend I have my own show on the Food Network and walk my imaginary audience through the steps.  And combine the ingredients like so…you guys, this is going to come out so great! I’m a really cheesy host.

So…do you have SSB? Spill please!

Photobucket

15 responses to “secret single behavior”

1. rebecca says:

i hope that you imitate giada when you cook by over pronouncing all italian words and using excessive hand gestures.

Haha! And I also like to wear tops that show half my boobs. I need to appeal to my imaginary male audience as well.

That's so cute. My SSB consists of cleaning the house in my swimsuit. It gets HOT!

4. Lynn says:

Ok, I just laughed through that whole clip! Of course I'd seen it already, but that was before I moved into my boyfriend's (already full) apartment. Since then, I've found shoe boxes with brand new, never-worn shoes in them (isn't that supposed to be a girl SSB? explanation: he's French) that are taking up space that mine should be in! Wow, that was easy enough to divulge his SSB, I'll have to get back to you on mine…

Oh, that's a good one!

Men are notorious for their SSB, in my opinion. I think they're so much worse than women! I swear, I could give you a page-full of SSB that Bob has. Only thing is, he's not so secret about it.

7. Monica says:

i've never lived alone! parents, student shares, boyfriends, flat mates, backpackers, husband. i suppose i've had long stretches of alone time…. probably just having a much messier place than i would with people around, and track pants or similar…. lol

8. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

HA–I love these! John once found me wearing a face mask, eating Doritos, reading wedding mags AND watching trashy TV-simultaneously. It was pretty mortifying.

lol – these are great! i think my biggest one is having a dance party in the morning. there's no other way to get me out of bed at 5:30 for work. britney and bsb help me out, big time.

I'm not even gunna lie…BSB totally does it for me too.

Hey, it happens. It seems like it wasn't too bad though – he didn't run away!

12. Jennifer Fabulous says:

This is a cute post. :) That's funny about the ANTM poses. And I think it's actually kind of cool you pretend to have a cooking show while you're cooking. It probably makes your food come out better because you're actually concentrating on the steps and trying to make it perfect. It's so easy to get distracted in the kitchen! (At least that's my experience, lol).

I've been living with my boyfriend for four years now, so I don't think I have any ssb he doesn't know about. I'm glad too. Hiding things you can't help is exhausting! 😛

13. jennifer says:

I will never forget those tweezers!

14. Ashley says:

LOL to the food network bit!!!!!! hahahahaha!!

15. dottie says:

haha! this was a cute post; esp the “this will turn out so great!” part. eheh.

dottie