adventures in weekending: the day before father’s day

The Saturday before Father’s Day, you can always find me out and about – somewhat frantically – trying to find a gift for my Dad. After Bob and I walked the High Line from 23rd St. to 14th, we headed to Bowery’s Kitchen Supply at the Chelsea Market.

See, my Dad loves to cook. And he’s really great at it. So a professional restaurant supply store seemed right up his alley. Surely there must be something he doesn’t own already! How wrong I was. The entire store is his kitchen! I walked around with a pair of bamboo utensils used for salad tossing before I set them down and said to myself, a giant bamboo fork and spoon for Father’s Day? Maybe not.

And so I headed out the market empty-handed. But not before stopping for Jacques Torres cookies. I needed that consolation.

Speaking of food (and since when am I not talking about food?), we had a terrific lunch at Pipa’s. I’ve had a love affair with jamon Serrano, since I tried it at a Spanish restaurant some months ago. So imagine my delighted surprise when I learned Pipa’s served it in a sandwich with melted Manchego, toasted crusty bread and honey aioli – done and done.

You need to go there. Now.

By the way, I ended up getting my Dad this. You just can’t go wrong with some good cuts of meat.

Photobucket

9 responses to “adventures in weekending: the day before father’s day”

Oh, that ham sandwich does look good and better than anything I had in Spain. The sandwiches I had there were always incredibly dry!

I'm sure your dad will love that gift!

2. Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} says:

Ooh, this post makes me miss NYC so badly! Everything looks so good, but my oh my what is that chocolate creation in the last pic?? YUM!

3. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

Dear God, that sandwich sounds (and looks!) heavenly! I've long since given up on Father's Day gifts–Christmas is hard enough!

oh man i hate to be the one to say this, but…they're closing pipa :( however they are opening up another tapas place in it's spot, but run by abc kitchen. let's hope they still have jamon serrano!

LIES! Nooooo! Okay, so I'm bummed about this, but it seems likely that the new place will still have by beloved ham. They better. Or else!

6. S T E P H A N I E L E A N N says:

What kind of dessert is that? It's so pretty!

I forgot what it was called, but it was really chocolatey and yummy! I know there was ganache involved, haha.

8. Jane says:

Sounds like you had a nice day out, looking for a gift. That sandwich and the dessert looks amazing (especially the dessert!).

haha – i knew you wouldn't like that comment! but you are right – they better have that ham. and if so that's definitely a step in the right direction!