eating meat-light

I like the idea behind Meatless Mondays. I’m not a vegetarian by any means, but it doesn’t mean I don’t like to pretend I am for a few days out of the week. I’ve gone from eating meat every day to eating it only a few times a week.

The grocery bill is lower. I’m getting more creative when making dinner and in the process, increasing my intake of other healthy foods like vegetables and lentils.  Not only is it better for health, but it doesn’t hurt that it’s safer for the environment too.

Read more information about Meatless Mondays here. You might want to consider registering your blog (or making a pledge), if you’re really interested in the movement.

What’s your take on it? Would you try going meatless at least once out of the week or are you a full-on vegetarian/vegan?

Photobucket

11 responses to “eating meat-light”

1. Monica says:

ooh, what's that last one?

i don't give it much thought. i cook what i fancy and sometimes that includes meat and sometimes it doesn't. i never think of it as vegetarian, just what i'm cooking today, lol

i was Vege then Vegan since the age of 12. but meat proved too good for my health.

what i do give thought to is where our meat is coming from.

people eat waaaaayy too much meat these days, and I say that as someone who loves it. I rarely eat meat at lunch and don't make it a lot at home – mostly pasta and fish. but the weekends I definitely get my far share – bacons, burgers, pepperoni pizza, etc. I definitely think its a good thing for people to think about their meat consumption and work on eating it less, if necessary.

I did Meatless Mondays for awhile and really enjoyed it. I need to figure out the right balance of protein though – maybe add some tofu or beans into the veggie days

I think this is so great! I proposed the idea of Meatless Mondays to Caleb and he promptly shot it down. He said he wants meat at every dinner :( I do try to mix in other forms of protein and then I just add less meat, and I don't think he's caught on yet! :)

5. Alys says:

I gave up meat for Lent and it was a challenge in terms of thinking up what meals to have, but I didn't missmeat all that much. I'm trying to persuade the people I live with to join me in a meatless day, but it probably won't be Monday because that is inconvenient… even if it does alliterate. Perhaps Meatless Mercredi? 😉

6. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

John and I have slowly found ourselves eating less and less meat; these days, we only buy it for a specific meal, instead of stocking up on chicken or pork for the week! We've just sort of fallen out of the habit of eating it regularly, but our meals are just as delicious!

That's the kale gratin I made a few weeks ago! Super yum.

I'm a meat lover too. But I agree with you. Sometimes, it gets a bit much. But I like to indulge on the weekends. If that means bacon cheeseburgers, then so be it!

Haha! Sneaky lady! That's kind of genius, though.

Agreed! I don't always go meatless on a Monday. The Monday thing is too strict for me. Whenever I feel like it – that's when it happens.

11. Me and I says:

Wow, that sounds a good idea! I'll try too to eat less meat. Meatless Monday =), here I come!