apartment herb gardening

The taste of fresh herbs, in some cases, is far superior to dried so I often find myself buying bunches of them at the market.  Which is why, at a recent trip to Union Square’s Greenmarket, I picked up some potted parsley, chives and rosemary – three herbs I use often in cooking.

These beauties have survived the first few days at the apartment, in spite of the absent sun and my lack of gardening know-how. So a big ‘hooray!’ is in order.

(Hooray!)

I’ve been doing some heavy googling over here, but surprisingly enough, I haven’t found much information on indoor herb care. So right now, it’s just allowing them to get as much sun as possible, watering a few times a week and an occasional snipping of dried-out ends. But if there’s anything else you think I should be doing or if you know links to helpful sources, feel free to post those down in the comments. Help me keep them alive!

Photobucket

14 responses to “apartment herb gardening”

1. Mary says:

I don't understand a lot of "herb care" but I think water and sun will be enough at first…

They look really healthy – do let us know if you're able to find some more herb tips

3. yours truly, melissa says:

Hooray for your potted herb garden! I love having fresh herbs at home. I'm no expert, but water & sun!

4. Kendra says:

I can't wait for our Farmer's Markets to open so we can indulge in some herbs as well. Last year I grew rosemary and basil indoors and didn't do any more than you: water and offer plenty of sunshine. They look lovely!

5. LeeLee says:

Ohh, apartment gardening. This is something I am looking into trying.

6. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

There's nothing better than fresh herbs–John and I were talking about this just last night, but I have such a black thumb I don't think even John's superior gardening skills could keep them alive!

7. david smith says:

Those are adorable! I love fresh herbs and we've been planning an indoor garden for a while now…can't wait until Farmer's market season, where we can get some great plants!

8. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

I’ve never had success with herbs indoors (or plants in general for that matter) but I recently planted some mint and rosemary in our tiny little garden and they seem to be doing well. I just top them up with plant food once a week which I think helps?

9. Shoko says:

I was just talking about this with a friend – I would love to have some indoor herbs to use for cooking. Yours are so cute :)

10. Pink Ronnie says:

That's a really lovely idea – and they look beautiful too.
    I would love to get something like this for our kitchen, just need to find the right one and work out where to put it.
    Keep us updated on how your indoor herb care goes!
    Ronnie xo

11. Caroline says:

We just started an herb garden on our patio … I love the smell of fresh herbs!! Enjoy your weekend … bisous.

12. Jamillah says:

Oh I have a link for you!!! I have also been researching herb gardening indoors! I think I might even get a grow light even though I might be judged by my neighbors, lol.

13. Johnny says:

These look great, it fits in so well with your room! Each plant is grown so well, you did a great job with the gardening for it

14. Cat says:

Hi Jill!

I found heaps of guides to indoor herb gardens on Google. Hope you have more luck – I tend to find asking friends and family leads to all sorts of great tips and tricks!
    xCat