what to do with leftover celery

Though I like the flavor in small amounts, celery’s not such a common ingredient in our household. It’s more of a soup flavoring for me. Whether I bought too much or it was sold in a pack of several stalks, I always have some left over. I try not to waste food, so freezing them is the logical thing to do, besides snacking on them (I don’t much care for raw celery though).

What you’ll need:

Celery, roughly chopped into 1 to 1 ½ inch pieces
Plastic bags that seal tight
A bowl of ice water

Bring a salted pot of water to a hard boil.
Throw in the celery chunks and cook for about a minute (you don’t want them to get too soggy or lose flavor).
Immediately place in a bowl of ice water and let cool down for a few minutes.
Strain.
Put about a handful or two (I used about a heaping handful and a half) in individual plastic bags.You can use specific measurements, if that’s more your thing. I like to eyeball it.
Freeze and use as needed.

Once blanched and frozen, the celery will no longer be crunchy. At this point, it’s best to use for soups and stocks. It will keep for several months to a year.

———————-

BUT, if you absolutely insist on using up your celery right away, here are some very delicious-looking recipes to try:

Photobucket

11 responses to “what to do with leftover celery”

1. Vanessa says:

Wow, thanks for this! I always end up using about 2 stalks for a recipe and then have tons leftover that goes to waste. Although, I recently bought a juicer, and celery works well in a lot of juices (surprisingly).

you missed the most important use – dip it in peanut butter!!!! (I saw the title of your post and immediately yelled this in my head. I have a slight love for peanut butter, obviously).

You're right! I'm not much of celery-snacking person though. It tastes weird to me when it's raw. And those stringy things – what a pain!

I believe it. Celery retains a lot of water, so I'd imagine they're ideal for juices.

Okay that is way helpful because I always have way too much also and it always goes bad. Thanks!

The stores need to start selling celery in smaller bunches! I always have a lot leftover too, and try to eat it raw but usually get tired of it. Great tips for blanching! thanks!

7. Ashley says:

This is smart :)

I also sneak them into shakes, since celery is good for digestion.

8. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

I love to snack on celery, and even I find it goes soft before I can get through a whole bulb! This is a wonderful idea!

9. Pink Ronnie says:

Have you tried juicing celery? It's nice with apple and carrot. (And maybe pineapple)
    Ronnie xo

10. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Kudos