no fuss, recipe-less dinner: chicken and vegetable stir-fry

This chicken and veggie stir-fry is one of those meals that don’t require a specific recipe or strict measurements. This is why I make it so often for dinner. It comes naturally to me.

It took a while to perfect the flavor. There were variations that included brown sugar and honey, but it wasn’t until I found the right balance of lime juice, ginger, soy sauce and garlic that I knew this was a tried and true thing. I learned in order to preserve some of the crunch and color of the vegetables, it was best to cook some of the ingredients before adding the rest. And a splash of lime juice is all you really need –  anything more is kind of disastrous. A bit of cornstarch to thicken up the sauce doesn’t hurt either.

Are there any meals that you improvise? Is there at least one where you need only your eyes and taste buds as measuring spoons?

Photobucket

14 responses to “no fuss, recipe-less dinner: chicken and vegetable stir-fry”

1. rebecca says:

i cook up a version of this every once in a while and ignore the eye rolls from ed. for whatever reason he hates this meal. it's my fav!!!!!

It's one of my faves too! How can you not like it? It's so damn good.

3. Alexa says:

This looks delicious! I've been in a dinner rut lately–I get bored with my routine every so often–and need to make this a regular. Thanks for the inspiration!

oh that looks highly delicious. i don't improvise too much – those are just the nights where i throw together ravioli with some garlic and olive oil. not really my recipe, i suppose :)

5. Maria says:

Dear lord this looks so delicious. I'm pretty sure I can make my moms spaghetti and meatballs by heart, substitution a few things of course.

6. Punctuation Mark says:

this looks delicious… looking forward to go and eat at home again!

7. Marissa says:

I tend to cheat on my stir fries, using Trader Joe's or Annie Chung bottled sauces. Easy peasy.

8. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

This sounds so delicious! John and I are almost entirely wing it cooks, although we will measure rice…

Oh this looks delicious! and so colorful! I think I use a recipe for just about everything I cook… the recipes I make often I pretty much have them memorized but I'm the worst at estimating so I can't trust myself to eyeball it!

10. nancy says:

I do the same with stir fries! I just dice whatever vegies I have laying around (or throw in a bag of frozen vegies) and add some beans/tempeh/tofu. throw in some chillies, spices, herbs, seasonings, sauces, peanut butter if you're feeling satay-ish… you've got yourself an easy meal :)

11. Anait says:

Mmmmm looks delicious! I usually depend on recipes, but I do have a few tried and true recipes that I can do by sight/taste – mostly stir fries, chicken recipes, cookies and drinks :)

12. Alexa says:

This looks like such a scrumptious dinner! :)

13. Pink Ronnie says:

Looks AHMAZING. I have to admit, I improvise most of the time when I cook. Stir fries are a staple in our household too!
    Ronnie xo

14. Val says:

Wow – this does look incredible.