inspiration corner

I’m currently working on a creative project. I won’t say what it is because I believe in showing, not telling. And I don’t know when it will be completed. It could be five months from now. It could be five years from now.

I can’t say what the future holds for me.
But I might pass failure on the way to success and will probably endure a few, if not many, rejections. So if/when that happens, I need something that’s going to lift me up. Words and stories that at one time made me feel excited and open to new possibilities. To remind myself that even when I’m feeling down on myself – which will most certainly happen – there was a time when I felt confident in my abilities. And I need to keep on.

I collected some clippings and printed articles I found around the web that truly motivate me. And I put them in a designated “pick-me-up corner”. My pick-me-up corner is exactly as it sounds. It’s meant to give me a boost when morale is low. A light push saved exclusively for the times when I absolutely need one. It’s only natural to have feelings of doubt, but I don’t want that to hinder my judgment as I’ve let it in the past. I’m too old to let negative thoughts defeat me.

I work on my state of mind every day. I try to keep my attitude positive yet realistic and my drive strong. But it doesn’t hurt to have another back-up system.
So this is what I’ve done. My own little corner. A different kind of support, if you will.
If you find yourself wavering from your dreams and goals, what do you do? How do you keep yourself from throwing in the towel?
Photobucket

12 responses to “inspiration corner”

i think this is a great idea. for me, i just try to remember how badly i wanted what i'm working for. kind of quiet myself and think back to when i felt it was more attainable – usually serves as a good reminder to me.

Ugh, my method is not probably advisable to anyone but I typically just go and distract myself with something else and then come back to it. Throwing in the towel is never really an option.

3. Maneet Jassal Gupta says:

Hi, I am a recent follower of the blog and completely like it! :) I can relate to what you are saying and what really keeps me going is seeing the end result in my mind and what wonderful feeling it will give me!

4. LatteLisa LisaHjalt says:

Love your idea of a pick-me-up corner. For me it's probably the books I keep on my coffee table. It has an extra shelf where I keep magazine and notebooks, all within reach when I'm relaxing on my chaise lounge. Sometimes when I'm working on something I like to step away from it for awhile and then come back to it. That method has worked well for me. But I can also be such a hopeless dreamer and I've hardly started one thing when I move on to another.

Good luck with your project 😉

5. Jamillah says:

Gawsh, hard question! I think it is important to have confidence in your ability and remember that you can do this ish…i mean that is what keeps me honest with my intentions and goals. doubt is too easy to overcome us so for me i remind myself that i trust in what i'm doing and i will get there no matter how long the road.

i completely believe in your ability, friend. you are a wonderful writer.

6. Ashley says:

Excellent idea. Quotes are also very powerful for me. I also wrote a post to myself reminding myself what I truly want. I read that when I need to be reminded.

7. Sienna says:

This is a great post. I feel like I've thrown in the towel more times than I can count. I don't have any good advice, I just find that when the end result seems really worth it is when I keep pushing through.

8. Lisa Lisa Lisa says:

This is a fabulous idea! I think you have done yourself such a favor :)

9. Monica says:

great idea!

the thing for me was a little more metaphysical. it was coming to grips with the whole creative phenomenon.
    that the PROCESS is everything – results are great but last.
    that periods of 'sleep' WILL happen, and not to panic, the flow will return.
    that self-doubt and other 'negative' thoughts are natural to any creative person, and not to be feared. the good feelings are right around the corner.

good luck!

This is such a good idea!! I don't know what keeps me from quitting… I think I'm pretty determined so I guess that keeps be going? I like the idea of a collection of encouragement of sorts for when I feel the determination start to wane.

11. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

I am so excited for your project, and impressed by how you've built strength for yourself. I'll admit that as a crazy perfectionist, when something didn't go my way, I decided I hadn't worked hard enough–it'll drive you crazy, but it did get me into the practice room!

12. website says:

Could you email me with a few hints about how you made your blog look like this, Id appreciate it!