adventures in weekending: no showers bring silk flowers

We shopped the flower district for some small bouquets of quality silk flowers, ate the tastiest lamb burger with Morroccan spices at an old favorite and couldn’t leave the area without first scanning the thrifts for random goodies. We picked up some lidless jars for ($1 each!) for drinking, admired the assortment of colors, variety and the handsomeness of young Ronald Reagan in an old cigarette ad (or maybe that was just me?) and argued over what kind of artwork we should have in the living room (It’ll take a few more tries to convince Bob that this is what we should put up on display).

The silk flowers look and feel just like the real thing…it’s kind of amazing. I don’t have a green thumb, so planting is out of the question and I don’t feel right spending money on freshly-cut flowers every week, so silk was the answer (as opposed to those fake-looking fabric-y ones you find at the dollar store). I’m loving how they beautify the home by just sittin’ pretty on the window sill. A worthy investment, if you ask me.

Photobucket

17 responses to “adventures in weekending: no showers bring silk flowers”

1. yours truly, melissa says:

Those silk flowers are very pretty indeed! Tulips are one of my favorites!

2. SreeBindu says:

SUPER BRIGHT AND NICE =)

3. Monica says:

those are silk flowers? they look amazing.
    i've never seen a lamb burger, would love that with those flavours.

love the jars, although i haven't really got the whole drinking out of jars thing. what's the attraction? :)

4. LatteLisa LisaHjalt says:

I like this post a lot!
    Love your jars and I didn't realize these were silk flowers until I read the text.

I'm not so sure about Ronald Reagan in the living room, hahahaha

For me, it's the width (or circumference?). It fits perfectly in my grip. But I also think it looks nice too :) Oh, and it helps that it was only $1 each!

Hahah, yeah me neither! I love vintage posters, but something feels wrong about having Ron Reagan (and his cigs) in our living room!

and again, i still need to go to l'express (particularly for dinner). i've only been once for breakfast back when i moved here…and i live like 2 blocks away. shame on me.

8. rolala says:

Those silk flowers almost pass for real in your photos! Lamb burger! nom nom :)
    rolala loves

9. kristina says:

great inspiring photos as usual jillian – your weekending adventures
    always look so fun! love the bonne maman jars, aren't they just
    great for drinking glasses or anything else for that matter?
    happy monday my friend 😉
    xoxo

10. nancy says:

those flowers are beautiful! and man, that burger looks good… and I don't even eat meat! I'm in need of some pretty jars myself, for jam-making purposes… though it's always much harder than you'd first believe to find them!

11. Val says:

What a great post!!! I love all of your images.

12. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

What a beautiful, tasty weekend! Those silk flowers are truly gorgeous!

13. Emily says:

what an awesome beer bottle! what kind of beer is it? i need it!

14. Ronnie says:

Your images are so rich and colourful. Every one tells a story!
    I don't have a green thumb either, so have an array of artificial plants at home, but have never thought of silk flowers! Thanks for the pointer – they look just like the real thing!
    Ronnie xo

15. Jane says:

Thsoe flowers are really pretty! I never have fresh flowers around because of my hayfever, but silk ones are a good alternative. Loving the food shots as well.

It's called Delerium Tremens. It's good stuff!

17. Alexa says:

I can't believe how beautiful silk flowers are!! I guess I've never seen them? Such a great alternative.

I am a sucker for the flower stands here in NYC, one in my neighborhood in particular. I love having fresh flowers around, but it does get expensive. I've found that a $2 bouquet of baby's breath will last for two weeks and I love the way they look in a glass milk bottle, so that's usually my answer. But now I'm going to have to find some silk flowers :)

You always find such crafty solutions. I am STILL boiling my orange peels every Saturday morning!!