how to organize your spices in 1 minute or less

When cooking, one of the most annoying things is to frantically search for the spice you needed to add to the food about three steps ago with sticky hands, only to find it way way waaaay in the back of a cluttered cabinet, after you’ve dirtied up all the other containers you picked up in an effort to find the right one.

Story of my life. All the caps on my spices have greasy or sticky fingerprints on them.

But I found a way to make my life about 10x easier.
With this.
Place the spices, label side out, on a spinning turntable.
It fits neatly inside the cabinet and opens up a few more inches of space. It’s a life-changer! And it only set me back $5.

Need more ideas? Try using a tiered shelf or diy magnetic spice holders.

Photobucket

15 responses to “how to organize your spices in 1 minute or less”

1. Monica says:

nice solution. that thingy could be used for various other bits and pieces too.

Absolutely. I'm considering using it in the fridge for some condiments that won't fit on the door.

3. Kyla says:

That's so funny, I keep my spices on a small lazy suzan! It really is the best way to keep spices organized :)

4. Alexa says:

This is really handy!! If I only had the counter space….oh, NYC living :)

Speaking of spices, I just read an interesting tip in Martha Stewart Living: you shouldn't buy a pre-filled spice rack, as you don't know how long they have been sitting, and you should fill it according to your own cooking preferences anyway. It seems so obvious now, but I found it really interesting!

This is such a good idea! I continue to accumulate more and more spices so my once-organized spice cabinet is now a wreck. I think I need to get one of these things!

I have been thinking about this for my new pantry. They're really affordable!

7. rolala says:

I use one of these for my spices too. Total life-changer!

I had read that recently too! Makes sense. I'd imagine that it's way cheaper to just get your own individual spices too.

You should! It has really simplified things for me.

10. Maria says:

Okay, this is amazing! I need to go and buy one.

11. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

So clever! We use an old Coca Cola flat, but John refuses to label the tops so I've just memorized where all the spices are!

12. Jess says:

Oh yes, we are always looking for reasons to organize our cabinet! these are awesome~

13. Ashley says:

Not a bad idea! I will say I prefer a spice rack, but this is a great alternative :)

14. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

I find that I buy duplicates of so many spices because they hide right at the back! We currently have 4 cumins! So I really need to get organised with something like this!

15. Coolie says:

I use those “lazy-susans” for my paint brushes and most often used art supplies (mod podge, dremel, wooden skewers, etc.) I also use those little plastic test tube holders ? for my paint brushes, but that’s another story.