the things that make it feel like home

Little by little, things in the new home are coming together. We haven’t purchased many decorative accents or artwork yet, but we have the bare necessities along with a few touches that are making it feel homier and more personal.

Come take a look…

My beloved pumpkin-colored panels that I raved about here.
Bob’s d.i.y. project, a lamp made from an old gin bottle.
Lovely little reminders on the fridge.
Bright towels to cheer up the bathroom.

Graphic mugs that express our personal tastes first thing in the a.m.

Magnetic poetry.

Tell me, what little things make your home feel like home?

Photobucket

29 responses to “the things that make it feel like home”

1. Jane says:

Your place is looking nice! Good luck with the rest of the decorating. I don't even know what makes my home feel like home, just all my stuff and my family I suppose, haha.

2. rebecca says:

i love these snippets of your home, jillian. :)

3. Monica says:

what a great colour on those panels!

my books, strewn about, really do it for me.
    then our travel knick-knacks.
    and tapestries, throws, etc.

surprisingly, not photos. although they do go up.

4. Alexa says:

It's all coming together, and beautifully!

Little things like the red and white knit blanket my great-grandmother made, my coffee mugs, and seeing my books scattered about let me know I am home. It's one of my very favorite feelings.

5. fifth floor apartment says:

i know how you feel. i moved in august and it wasn't until maybe october or november that the place really felt complete.

little things that make me feel like home:

my favorite lamp with the jade green shade
    my dozen plus copies of little women
    my pittsburgh penguins stuff
    my "the rest is silence" hamlet print
    coffee mugs coffee mugs and more coffee mugs

xo alison

6. Vanessa says:

So funny, I've been putting together a post like this, little by little. It's so nice to see what other people have in their homes that make it feel comforting.

Rebecca, thank you much!

Monica – surprisingly, as much as I love photos, they don't feel as important as my books or blankets. I get it.

Alexa – Thank you! A knit blanket that was made especially for you is a wonderful thing to own. I love homemade things like that. Cozy and personal…love that.

Alison – seems like you and I have the coffee mugs in common. I'm actually on the hunt for more. Can't get enough of 'em!

8. rolala says:

Such sweet and homey touches! The process of making a home your own can be so much fun. I think our collection of personal photos really warm up our home.

9. barefoot mama says:

So creative!!! Love all of the color:))

We have a hallway in our house that has become a giant mural. We have had friends and family from all over the country come and paint on it. I LOVE IT!!! It's the one thing in this house I would have a hard time leaving. oh, and the kids measurements on the wall…love that too!

10. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} says:

Love the gin lamp. SO very cool. I have a lamp made from a really cool old wine bottle. :)

The things that make me feel at home are the smell of onions and garlic sauteeing in a pan, and a hug and kiss before I leave for work. :)

11. Anait says:

I love all the above…but especially the fridge poetry and the sweet notes :)

I like DIY projects, too, because everytime I pass by something I've made, it makes me proud, and reinforces my presence and my style (which can get lost when living with two boys…) 😉

I love these little glimpses into your home! The things that make our home feel homey are a candle burning, some soft throw blankets near by, pictures from our wedding, and the like.

13. Maria says:

Loving that lamp! What a creative idea!

We've just moved into a new house too and it's far from feeling like our own home. While we didn't have much choice about what furniture went into our living room (we got hand me downs from my parents' old houses) we really personalised our bedroom with some lovely mint walls!

Maria xx

14. girls who like to gorge says:

Awh, love the gin lamp! x

15. Chelle Lynn says:

Notes are always the sweetest thing to me! My cats make me feel at home…and our old, beat-up, second-hand furniture. :)

16. Shoko says:

Such a cute lamp! Love it!

17. Ashley says:

I freakin' LOVE that lamp!!!!! I wanna make one too!

I like adding rare things I pick up while traveling…you know, stuff that can't be found in IKEA 😉

18. Lena at A Crimson Kiss says:

A Hendrick's lamp? How clever! I have a giant painting I've had in every apartment since junior year in college, and it makes a place really feel like home. I can't imagine any place without it!

19. Jamillah says:

keep on going it will be your place in no time! i love love love what you have written on the fridge :). it's really pretty.

oh wow! i love that gin bottle. the things that make it home is when i become used to it. the floors, the way it looks, the way it smells. and always, always my bed.

21. Selene says:

thank you for the comment! this post is amazing!!!

22. NaNa says:

wow great DIY job he did hehe, thanks for sharing your post hun <3

love from the NANA girls xoxo

23. demie says:

it looks so lovely!!!

24. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

I really love the little love note! So cute! It's definitely the personal touches that make a house a home! For me, I couldn't live without reminders from my travels!

25. Niina - It seems pretty obvious. says:

Wow! That Gin bottle lamp is amazing! My boyfriend would love a lamp like that too :)

26. Ivana says:

Love that lamps and cheerful towels! They look amazing!

xx Ivana

This is the last week to enter my "Perfect nail polish" event on Facebook! Check it out here

Stop by sometimes :)
    Macarons and Pearls

27. kristina says:

jillian – that lamp is awesome!
    xx, k

28. the southern hostess says:

I love little touches like this. It's all in the details. :)

29. Mika says:

Love the lamp!
    My lamps make my home feel cosy – The art on my walls and the paintings my girls do make our house feel like home.
    As do the fridge magnets
    The colourful rugs and quilts
    The music always playing
    Kids laughing
    Mess
    Plants
    The memories in things collected
    And absolutely – the Book Shelves