in need of a haircut

I need a haircut. It’s passed the point of intolerable. The ends are split, my bangs have grown out and my hair is generally shapeless.

But I loathe going to the salon. I really do. Having to just sit there, while the stylist is snip snip snipping my hair and forcing me into small talk (“Where do you work?”, “Do you like it?”, “How long have you been working there?”). I’ve never been the type of person that goes into a salon, says hello to everybody and chats up the stylist with guy troubles and beauty tips. No, I’m more of a get-in-get-out kinda’ girl. I just want to tell you what I want, get my hair cut in non-awkward silence, pay and leave. Frankly, I find small talk to be draining. I tend to leave the salon feeling awfully tired when I give in to it. And not only that, but getting my hair cut reminds me of being at the dentist (“Put your head this way”, “Tilt that way”). It’s kind of a drag.

Depending on who I’ve told this to, I’ve gotten a range of reactions from “Really? You’re so weird” to “I know exactly what you mean!” to “Sometimes, you just need to relax and stop being so neurotic”.

Photobucket

18 responses to “in need of a haircut”

I am the same way! I hate that I'm paying someone to small talk with me because I also found small talk super draining and not fun at all. Since we just moved I was looking for a new salon, and I ended up super happy with the one I picked. I chose the only guy in the salon to cut my hair, since he's less talkative then all of the women. Also, he gives a head and neck massage before even washing my hair! It's a win-win! :)

2. rebecca says:

awkward small talk, yes! ruins it for me sometimes. unless it's a stylist i've been going to for years. otherwise, just don't talk and cut my hair.

Sherri, a head and neck massage sounds amazing! You've got a winner there!

Rebecca, I can definitely see it being more comfortable with someone you've known for years. I guess you have to go through that initial stage before getting to know each other on a deeper level.

I don't like haircuts either or making small talk. Sooo… I'll typically go to an Asian salon where I don't understand the language and just let them snip away quickly and quietly

5. Shoko says:

Totally agree. Haircuts are awkward :)

6. Monica says:

haha, this sorts of fits with my post today. perhaps you're an introvert.

although i am, i have to admit to loving the salon. it feels indulgent pampering to me. especially the one i used to go to and they would give me a mini massage after the wash. sigh….

7. kristina says:

i feel the same way jillian – you're not alone!!
    xoxo, k

8. Aquí says:

right there with you! I have this looong hair and its its screaming to be cut because it so dry. I finally gave in and took a scissors to it myself. Probably not the best idea

Monica, that's one plus (besides getting a fresh and bouncy new cut) about going! I like it when the shampoo girl gives my scalp a rubdown. Feels awesome!

Sara, you're brave!I could never snip my own hair (I learned this from the bang-up job I did on my Barbie years ago!).

10. fifth floor apartment says:

i totally know where you're coming from. i hate getting my hair cut and right now i realllllly need to. it's worst combination!

xo alison

11. Maria says:

Ugh, I'm the exact same way. I don't want to go in there and have a conversation. Please just cut my hair and let me leave. Thanks

12. Madison says:

ditto. small talk at the hair salon is not my thing. every time i go i end up being asked the same questions anyways.
    but i guess it's not as bad as awkwardly talking with your dentist… i mean, how do they expect you to talk with them putting tools in your mouth??

13. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

Oh my gosh! I totally laughed out loud at this because I am EXACTLY the same! My friends all tease me about it because I cut my own hair to avoid going to the hairdresser! The whole process sets my teeth on edge, from the pointless small talk to the critiscm about split ends, water getting in your ears when your hair is getting rinsed… but the worst is when they try and sell you products when it's over! Ugh! I've got a hair appointment next week :(

14. Ashley says:

hahaha…I think it's about embracing the not-so-awkward silence, as you put it :)

Because people feel afraid of silence, they start talking about the silliest of things.

But I still love the salon, because I LOVE watching my hair getting snipped off…highly therapeutic for me. I cut 7 inches off recently! :)

15. barefoot mama says:

I know exactly what you mean and I really wish I could cut my own hair. Oh, and your hair looks FABULOUS I'd leave it alone!!

16. Lucent Imagery says:

I know what you mean. As I don't buy fashion magazines, it's the only time I get to read them and sometimes I just want them to silently cut so I can catch up on the fact that Jennifer Aniston has found a new man.

17. hellotampon says:

I hate the small talk too! You're right, it's draining. I'm a total introvert and silence doesn't bother me. I do LOVE getting my hair washed by someone else though.

18. Anonymous says:

I agree it's draining. I'm an introvert, and I think most people who go into cosmetology are extroverts. What I don't understand is why nobody has tapped the introvert market for hair salons. I'm not talking about a completely silent salon, but at least advertise the option for a peaceful cut experience for those who request it. That'd remove the awkwardness of, "I want to request it, but I'm afraid they'll think I'm rude." And it'd remove the awkwardness and guesswork on the hairdresser's part so they don't continually ask mundane personal questions and get one-word answers.