sentimental things

You might have noticed posting has been infrequent lately. That’s because I’ve been spending my days packing and preparing for a move. And when packing, one tends to find things that were once greatly significant, but recently forgotten.

I used to collect Archie comics. And by collect, I actually mean hoard. I read the stories over and over, knowing how the story would end, but enjoying every bit of it anyway. And you can probably tell by the condition they’re in. I learned words like “molly-coddle” and “hornswaggled”, words I still use in my vocabulary to this day. I always rooted for Betty and Jughead to get together, even though I knew he wasn’t interested in anything not shaped like a hamburger (they were much better suited for each other and Archie never fully appreciated Betty anyway!). I loved the trouble that Cheryl Blossom stirred up in Riverdale. I loved how much the comics were such a fun escape for me.

I have a new appreciation for my fictional friends and I’m taking them with me to the new apartment. I just can’t shake them…and I don’t want to.

Do you have anything that you’re holding onto from the past? Something you refuse to throw out?

16 responses to “sentimental things”

my sister and i loved archie comics too!

2. Jane says:

I hope the packing and moving goes well. I was never into comics, but I'm such a sentimental person, so I know what you mean. I can hardly bear to throw anything away.

I love going through things and finding old gems like this. When we're at my parents after Christmas I'm planning on going through some things in my old room – can't wait to see what I find!

4. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

haha!! love that you still have these. i'm actually so bad about saving things. because of my hate of clutter, i end up throwing away far too many meaningful things. hopefully that changes when we have kids!

5. Monica says:

i used to love comics as a kid. richie rich was a fave. lol

i'm big on letting stuff go, so i haven't much like that. i have one small shoebox of letters and bits between husband and me when we were courtin', and a large box of sentimental bits. like my bag from highschool! it's written all over with sentiments from my friends.

if you have the room and they mean something to you, you ought to keep them yes.

hope the move goes smoothly, if i don't see you before.

6. Janey R. says:

oh man, i still love and still have all of my old Archie comics too! (soooo many!) They are now part of my boys' playroom & I like to think that someday they'll read & enjoy them (even though they're more of a "girl-friendly" comic, LOL) but let's be real here, I can't get rid of them either, they're a HUGE part of my childhood & I cherish them!

7. Lisa Lisa Lisa says:

How sweet :) Moving can mean getting to reappreciate all of the things you already have!
    I don't like to throw out beauty supplies. Because what if I run out of something, and I don't have the 17 bottles of lotion to replace it???

Oh, how I loved Archie comics growing up! I had an enormous doll house that really has no business in my life, but I can't bring myself to part with it!

9. Vanessa says:

We moved into our Astoria apartment this summer, but only yesterday got the bookshelves we needed to accommodate my magazine collection. I'm obsessed with food magazines and refuse to part with my collection of Gourmet. I also had a stash of about five years worth of Martha Stewart Living, but there was no way I could keep them all. I finally got rid of 2/3 of the collection by just keeping my favorite issues.

I know, I'm lame.

10. Elle Sees says:

my mom recently gave me all of my childhood books. and they're just sitting there in my car, haha.
    PS: Just a few hours left to enter my STYLEMINT GIVEAWAY for 5 shirts.

11. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

Good luck for the move! My guy and I had a clear out this morning and it's amazing the amount of junk you accumulate in a few years – mostly because I refuse to throw out lots of things (old birthday cards are one of them)! I loved/still love Archie comics!

12. Jamillah says:

Friend! Good luck with the move! So glad it's happening 😀

Also-so cute that you hoarded Archie comics…you should totally craft with them!

13. fifth floor apartment says:

i have an old simba plush toy from the lion king that is like my oldest BFF. he's in my closet right now and always will be :)

xo Alison

14. Rachel Ann says:

Oh my gosh, I was addicted to Archie Comics when I was younger. I even remember when they came out with the cartoons, which were not as good of course.

15. kristina says:

my best friend and i used to read archies all the time = she was really obsessed!! these and sweet valley high!! ah, to be young again…
    xo, kristina

16. Alexa says:

I cleaned out my closet when I was visiting my parents for Christmas and found my tattered copy of Judy Blume's Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I was 7 when I bought it for $1 at a book sale and read over and over again when I was 10 and my mom was pregnant with my brother.

Funny how these objects hold such potent memories :)

I love this post!