how do you find your creative inspiration?

Everyday the wheels in my head are turning. I’ve always got something on my mind:

What dish can I make with these leftover ingredients before they go bad?
What should I wear?
How can I improve my photo-taking skills?
What should I blog about about next week?
What do I want to do with my life, career-wise?
How do I go about traveling the world with as little money as possible?

I may not have the answers to these questions. But I’m finding my way in the details, those little things in life that are so often overlooked. It lies in the shape of a cloud, a random conversation with a stranger or an advertisement on the side of the bus to create a light bulb moment.

When I feel like I could be running low on ideas, I like to turn to my scrapbook, a collection of articles, quotes and images ripped out from magazines and books. Things that are useful to remember. Things that stimulate my mind. Things that are visually interesting. Things I aspire to.

And it never ceases to amaze me. How a concept is born from something as trivial as an album review or a photo of a blushing bride.

In these cases, I always make sure to have my notebook with me. You never know when an interesting thought will strike.

(Bob likes to give his moleskins women’s names)

These days, I’m finding a wealth of inspiration from Pinterest. It’s such a functional and visual bookmarking website. Which is so convenient for a perennial bookmarker like myself. I love that I can access my pins from any computer or Smartphone. The world wide web is just a brilliant thing, really.

Where do you turn to for a little boost of creativity?

13 responses to “how do you find your creative inspiration?”

1. rebecca says:

that's my burning question…. what will i do with my life? ha. not an easy one.

2. Erica M. says:

Pinterest is definitely on the top of my list. Same as Etsy.com. I find a lot of things on there that I would want to DIY.

3. Monica says:

visuals and daydreaming (which i have to remind myself to do).

i either overload on beauty, such as through pinterest or general web-browsing, or i stop still and let my mind wander.

but like you i can be inspired by the smallest detail, a curve of a leaf, lines on stone…

4. Felicia says:

taking walks outside, browsing my tumblr dashboard, day dreaming!

p.s. i love how he names his moleskines!!

I love Pinterest for that same reason too! Instead of having magazines all over my house and ideas jotted down here and then, at least there's one place where a bunch of them are! I love that Bob names his moleskins!

6. kristina@beancakes ★ says:

ha! those little notebooks are so cool! ursula ~ how awesome is that!? and jillian ~ i'm like you in that my mind is ALWAYS thinking!! and i have yet to try out pinterest. . .
    xx ~ k

7. PhotoPuddle says:

Sigh, I love Pinterest. It really is the best place to go for some inspiration. And a lovely place just to hang out looking at pretty thing. I think in my head I'm actually turning Pinterest into a real life place!!

8. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

pinterest has totally changed how i find inspiration! in the kitchen, in my house, in my wardrobe…so helpful :)

9. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} says:

Usually nothing can get my creative juices flowing like music can. One song can send me on a whirlwind.

Bob's Moleskins are amazing, just like Pinterest-I can always count on it!

i, too, that bob names his moleskins. and i turn to photos. photos always can find a way to get to you and make you think. the days when nothing works are the woooorst.

12. Cecylia says:

Blogs and fashion mags! :) Lovely photos, I love the names of the journals!!!

Come follow my blog darling! xx

Hah that's awesome – I have never thought about naming my journals but it's actually a brilliant idea