adventures in weekending: it’s that time of year again

Just before Thanksgiving, New York can become an attack on the senses. With its influx of tourists, aggressive shoppers, constant Christmas music playing on every radio station and in every store, unpredictable weather and the noisy bell-ringing Salvation Army donation collectors on every street corner, it’s difficult to maintain that “holiday spirit”.

It can be hard to ignore, but that’s exactly what I did. I looked past all the little annoyances like crowds and focused on better things – nothing was going to ruin my good mood. This can probably be attributed to my three-day weekend, in which I found time to be productive (signed the lease to our new apartment, yay!), relax (watched Pride and Prejudice on repeat) and have fun (saw Breaking Dawn with my sis – don’t judge me, I love it!).

A cup of coffee and fluffy scrambled eggs with smoked salmon for brunch.

“Aaaw”ing at cute pups in sweaters and watching playful dogs romp in the park. I felt like I was watching the Puppy Bowl (which, for the record, I would rather watch than the Super Bowl).

The Union Square Holiday Market is one of the best places to find gifts in the city. They have tons of things from local art to specialty teas to handcrafted accessories.

After perusing the lovely little treasures at the market, I’ve decided that I need to get creative with my gift-giving this year. I’m leaning towards things you might find in a boutique or thrift store. Or perhaps some d.i.y. gifts. Either way, I have a lot of thinking to do…

Have you done any of your shopping yet? Or are you more of a last minute shopper?

22 responses to “adventures in weekending: it’s that time of year again”

1. Jane says:

Christmastime in New York sounds amazing to me haha, I'd love to experience it. Sounds like you had a good weekend!

I love this – NYC is definitely a mix of great and awful at the holidays, but focusing on the great keeps you sane. I also need to go to the union square market – such a great place for gifts. Also, please share where you ate that amazing breakfast!

It's L'express! One of my very favorite places to eat in the city. The service is always great and the food impeccable. And what's more is that it's affordable. Their lamb burger is to die for. Trust me.

4. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

It sounds pretty similar to London, particularly the huge crowds and the aggressive shoppers! I can't seem to get into the spirit yet so I will most likely leave everything to the last minute! Your DIY/thrift gift ideas sound intriguing…

Fun weekend! I am trying to be more creative with my gifts this year too, more DIY than normal! I've done a lot of my shopping, thankfully! I have ideas that I just need to find, and then a few people I have no idea for. I love buying gifts for people though!

6. yours truly, melissa says:

I'd love to be a tourist in New York right now, but then again, I'd love to be a tourist in New York anytime! : )

I'm such a last minute shopper… I always want to finish shopping ahead of time, but never do.

7. Anita says:

Looks like you had a perfectly lovely weekend inspite of overwhelming odds. I'm a late shopper myself, but I'm trying to change that. Hope you have a beautiful week!

8. Punctuation Mark says:

love all your images… no shopping yet… i'm just getting around buying all the thanksgiving stuff!

9. ModernWife says:

I'm going to try to get it all done next weekend but I've been know to over-reach :)

Love the photos! Let me know if you find some unique gift ideas!

10. Gloria says:

We visited the Union Square markets this weekend too! That booth in the last photo was hilarious

11. Michelle ~ Make Life Pretty says:

That sounds like such a great weekend! Those eggs look so good, I'm going out to buy some smoked salmon to make my own. Like, right now.

12. Chelle Lynn says:

I try to shop early, but Christmas always comes up so quickly and unexpected! Especially as I try to give handmade or local gifts, gift-finding can take a lot of time. Happy hunting!

13. Rose Penelope says:

Aww! :) I love the puppy bowl!!

14. Marissa says:

Wow, those are some seriously cute puppies. :) I love Union Square Market! I don't care how crowded it gets; it always puts me in the holiday spirit.

What a perfect weekend! I've been buying Christmas presents since July so I don't have to fight the crowds now!

16. Anita says:

Wow, I wish I lived in New York. I'm so jealous of you. I think it would be rather cool celebrating Thanksgiving. Anyway, lovely blog :)

17. Ashley says:

I saw Breaking Dawn tooooo. No judging here 😉

18. when BABI speaks says:

I've been to new york once and i love to go back again! it's so nice to give a diy gift, it's truly one of a kind. cool photos!

Babi

19. Alena: Oh, It's Just Perfect! says:

that holiday market looks fantastic!! can't wait to visit NYC before the holiday's!!

20. kristina@beancakes ★ says:

hi jillian! it looks like you had a great weekend! i don't judge btw, i really want to see breaking dawn!! and your brunch looked and sounded amazing!! i'm so excited for christmas but i haven't started thinking about gifts yet ~ i'm always a last minute shopper ah!!
    xoxo ~ kristina

21. classiq says:

It's great that you found a way to relax in spite of all the distractions. After all, this is a wonderful time of year. Have a beautiful week!
    Ada

22. Pink Ronnie says:

Your long weekend sounds fabulous. Love watching favourite shows and reruns. Wish I could be in your shoes for even an hour and experience Christmas in NY! Happy Thanksgiving.
    Ronnie xo