let’s talk halloween costumes

Look, my ankles seem to have disappeared!

When I think back on past Halloweens (and I’m talking waaaay back!), I think of cheap and shiny polyester costumes, over-sized plastic masks, loads of thick face paint…

That’s me again! Just call me Cuddles.

In recent years, I’ve come to realize that my favorite types of costumes are the ones I can put together myself. One I was particularly proud of was when I dressed as Lady Gaga about three years ago. I even made my own disco stick, which basically consisted of a wooden handle wrapped in aluminum foil and a disco ball glued at the end of it. This year? I have a few ideas, but nothing I’m too excited for. The wheels are still in motion.

So, tell me what was your favorite Halloween costume? Are you going to dress up this year?

25 responses to “let’s talk halloween costumes”

you're so cute in the first picture!!! i'm also not too excited about it this year…i don't have too many ideas. i'll have to get cranking on it.

2. Chelle Lynn says:

I always enjoy planning a costume more than actually putting it together. This year, I saw a fuzzy hat with ears on top, bought it, and called it a day. I'll wear jeans, paint my nose, and be some kind of bear (the hat is white, so either polar or panda.) I always seem to like childish costumes more than sexy ones.

Can't wait to see what you do this year! Post pictures! :)

4. Jessi Haish says:

awww! this is great!

5. Ashley {hudson's happenings} says:

I love home-made and creative costumes! :) A few years back, hubby and I dressed as David Letterman and his Intern during that debacle. It was pretty cute.

6. A says:

How did your ankles disappear in that photo? It's freaking me out! 😀

7. Ashley says:

WHERE is a picture of this Lady Gaga costume?!? *ahem* That needs to surface, please :)

8. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

love the lady gaga idea!!

last year my hubs and i went as peanut butter and jelly. super easy and very cute. and we got to hug the whole night :)

9. amy says:

Oh these photographs are too cute! I need ideas for a costume this year. When I was in grade two, I mixed hippie and grandma together with random clothes. I won best costume that year(no idea how!!!)

Halloween is such a fun time!!

hugs (^.^) hope to hear from you *
    amyflyingakite.com

Chelle – I agree to an extent. I'm not a big fan of the costumes that are made to be sexy, like a slutty nurse or something like that (though I don't fault anyone who does). But if I'm going to go with something sexy, I'd much rather be Marilyn Monroe or someone who is naturally sexy (as opposed to forcing the look).

Ashley – That's an awesome costume! Ha! You know what else would be great? Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky! I'm sure it's been done before, but I think it's pretty damn funny.

A – Haha! Don't worry, my ankles didn't actually disappear! When I scanned the pictures, some of the photo just didn't take. And it ended up blending in with the background. Weird, I know.

Ashley – I've been trying to find those pics! I can't seem to locate them at the moment. A lot of people told me I looked like Madonna that night. Which is actually a pretty good idea for this year. Hmmm…

11. Disturbed Style says:

Great photos! I love it! :)

12. Erin says:

Aww precious! I was Jelly Bellys one year! A clear plastic trash bag with a kinkos sticker that said Jelly Bellys-colored balloon and a top made with a bow and a headband. Purple tights and ballet flats topped it off! I loved that thing! This year, I'm not sure what I'm going to do!

xx

Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

13. jkd says:

You were so cute!

I'm going to be Amy Winehouse. I'm waiting for my beehive wig in the mail :)

14. audrey marie says:

ive been tom cruise from risky business 2 years in a row. simplest costume EVER

15. kristina@beancakes ★ says:

hi jillian ~ you look SO adorable in your costumes!! my favorite costume growing up was a black cat ~ my mom made it. not sure if i will don one this year, i know i know, but i will most likely be passing out candy w. my sis and niece!!
    xoxo ~ kristina

16. designedbyann says:

I agree! It's better when you make the costume yourself! my parents used to throw such parties (well here we don't have halloween, but we do celebrate carnival somewhere in February) and they did the costumes themselves! as for me…my favorite one has to be a fairy costume I made myself! I made it for my fashion schools show and then wore it myself too 😛
    Anna

17. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

We don't really get dressed up for Halloween but I have got to say that I am pretty unoriginal, I just stick a hat on and say I am a cowboy. Sad, I know but I vow to be more creative one day! My friend once dressed up as a whoopie cushion – best costume ever! I must see the pics of the Lady Gaga outfit!

Erin – That is a crazy unique idea! Love it.

JKD – That's going to be a great costume. You'll definitely have to apply that eyeliner on super thick and long.

Audrey – I actually really like that idea. It's simple and costs just about nothing.

Meghan – Ha, a whoopee cushion is pretty rad. I'd like to see that. And I'm searching for those Lady Gaga pics!

19. Cara says:

My friends and I went as Hershey Kisses one year when we were little, I loved that costume. This year I'm still working on my idea, hope to put something together this weekend!

20. Ashleigh says:

I'm with you on the making things yourself, I hate spending money on things that aren't wearable the rest of the year! The last few years I've done couple-y costumes with the hubster last year we were Zorro & a senorita, this year a group is going as the entire Kardashian clan complete with paparazzi, I'm pretty pumped about it 😉

21. Chelsea Elizabeth. says:

Aw! Cute pictures! Me and some friends are going to dress up this year but I havent dressed up in so long! One year I was a "70's themed barbie" Haha

<3Chelsea Elizabeth

22. Bravoe Runway says:

I LOVE halloween! My mom used to make my costumes every year! My favorite costume was last year when I dressed up as a sexy bollywood star I had the wig and a very scantily clad short sari… This year, I am not sure what I am dressing up, I have dark hair and try to stick to those types of characters, maybe betty boop?

My mama actually designs dance costume, so Halloween was always a full blown affair. I'll never forget my senior year in college when she FedExed John and I a toga and matching leather briefs for our 300 costumes-thanks Mom!

24. Marissa says:

I think we need to see some photos of that Lady Gaga costume! I also prefer putting costumes together myself. It's so much more fun that just buying something at the store. But I have no idea what I'm going to be this year! Kind of freaking out.

25. Erin Lian says: