the post-vacation slump: how to get over it

Coming back from a blissful break into the daily grind again can be a rough transition. No one likes to come back from vacation, especially if you’ve been having the time of your life eating cheese and bread in France, sunbathing in the Caribbean or even skiing in Vermont. Ever since I’ve returned from St. Lucia, I’ve been missing it terribly. However, I’ve been finding effective and fun ways to deal with the post-vaca blues:

1.) Create your own travel photo album/journal. This is a great way to reminisce and recall wonderful memories. And for all of you bloggers or photographers looking to get your travel photos noticed, Flickr, Tumblr and Pinterest are a few great (not to mention popular) places to do just that. Want an example of one of the most exquisite travel diaries? Check out Olivia’s for inspiration. However, if you’re looking for something a little more personal, Snapfish always has great deals on custom photo books.

2.) It may be far off, but start preparing for your next trip. It’s never too soon to start researching, especially if you plan on visiting a place with plenty of sights to see and history to digest. And in order to to sniff out the very best deals, lots of reading and Googling is absolutely required! Side note: I had pretty much cleared out the travel section of Borders in its last week and scored some pretty amazing deals. What was originally priced at $29.99, I bought for less than $5!

3.) Plan your weekends or off time accordingly. That is, plan to attend fun weekend events in advance so you have something to look forward to during the week. If I’m running low on funds, I’ll check the local paper for free or cheap activities in the area. And homebodies need not be left out! There are tons of cool, creative ways to spice up a typical night. Another idea: create seasonal bucket lists in which you designate your free days as opportunities to check a few things off. On my fall list? Pumpkin-picking and more bike-riding.

4.) If you can afford it and have the time, plan a mini-trip. Nothing too crazy, just somewhere you can take a train, bus or car (road trip!) to. I love having somewhere new to go and the idea of riding in my car with the windows down, sunglasses on and the music blasting. It’s important to break the monotony of your routine once in a while, even if just for a day or two. Your mental health will thank you. Bonus: in the off-seasons, things like gas and hotel prices tend to cost much less.

25 responses to “the post-vacation slump: how to get over it”

1. Felicia says:

what a cute post with great tips! I hate the vacation slump and it always takes me ages to get over it!

this was a great post! there are so many different wasy to "get away".

These are great ideas! We like thinking of different things to do during each season so we have things to look forward to on the weekends. Getting away for a day trip is also really fun, especially if you don't have to pay for a hotel!

4. classiq says:

Great tips! Day trips are the best, aren't they? Hope you're having a wonderful week. :)
    Ada

5. kristina@beancakes ★ says:

thank you jillian for all of these great tips!! i agree with all of them, my father-in-law is in constant "cruise trip planning" mode, as soon as he gets home he starts planning for the next trip, even though it's for the next year! having something to look forward to is key isn't it? have a great tuesday my friend! 😉
    xo ~ ks

6. Ashley says:

I really love this post, as I struggle with the post-trip blues often. I find that #2 helps me a lot. But I'm also trying to appreciate my surroundings more, and not always look to what's next? as opposed to what's now? So I love your next point of traveling within your city and finding good deals at that :)

7. Aquí says:

these are great tips! I always find myself a little down after a really fun trip. Back to reality! I really need to make a photo album!

8. yours truly, melissa says:

I love to travel and vacation. Coming home is nice to and I'm always ready to sleep in my own bed, but at the same time I'm sad that it's ended. I'll forever suffer from wanderlust and dream of the next fun trip.

What a wonderful way to keep yourself from drowning in post-vacation blues! John and I are planning a little getaway and I can't wait!

10. Monica {bohemian twilight} says:

haha, great ideas. i think i do the trip planning all the time.

11. jkd says:

I need a vacation! I took a mini trip recently, need another one!

12. Bridgette says:

Love the idea of a mini trip. A weekend getaway is sometimes the best 'pick me up!'

13. Jamillah says:

Oh I like your tips friend especially the start planning your next one bit!

P.S I know those bikes! 😀

14. Peiyinn says:

Great post! The beach scenery is so beautiful!:)

15. Tamina says:

such a lovely post … I really understand what you're writting about! I've deen almost depressive after my holiday in August as I joined the BEST music festival ever 😀 everyday I just look forward to next year's SZIGET festival in Budapest … these are really great ideas to come through the time ;-))

waiting for you visiting mine <3

xx
    fashionjudy.blogspot.com

16. Summer-Raye says:

Yes, I hate it too! Great tips though. Im following now, would love if you would follow back!

Summer

17. Radiant Make Up says:

Such good tips – I'm definately going to have to start planning my next trip!! x

18. Alexa says:

These are such great tips. Feel like everyone goes through a slump after getting back from vacation.
    xo

19. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

love it!! i feel like all i do at work is dream about little weekend trips we could take…oops :)

20. Jo says:

Perfect advice! I always find that mini trips cheer me up! <3

x
    Lost in the Haze

21. Tamina says:

thanks for your lovely comment:-)

fashionjudy.blogspot.com

22. Pink Ronnie says:

Nice words of wisdom, Jillian. :)
    Mini trips are the best!
    Ronnie xo

23. swiftlyinflight says:

Much gratitude for this post!

I'm such a Type A personality, that I literally feel balanced when I keep a routine, but you're absolutely right about needing to break that monotony on occasion. Definitely nourishing for the soul.

I currently reside in an area that has never really felt like home to me, so I never really give much thought to local happenings unless it's for work, but I love the idea of simply scanning the newspaper. So many really cool, little perks for local delights often go unnoticed amongst the clutter of headline news.

A seasonal bucket list…that's going on my list.

24. Isabel @ Pretty Tasty Things says:

Can I just say, I went to SPAIN for our honeymoon and it was the BEST decision of our lives. We went to Sevilla, Barcelona and Madrid. YOU MUST GO. Once in a lifetime experience.

P.S. Is that you riding the bike? Townie? If so, I have a TOWNIE, too!!

25. Alena: Oh, It's Just Perfect! says:

Or, just never return from your trip and avoid the slump altogether :) Haha. These are great tips that I am gonna follow!