adventures in weekending: riding bikes on governor’s island

Bike-riding on Governor’s Island (just 15 minutes away from NYC on ferry, for those that don’t know) was on my summer bucket list. And though temperatures are dropping to the sixties and and fifties around here, technically it’s still summer, so…I can check that one off now.

In spite of the dark and overcast clouds, the day stayed dry and cool–perfect for riding bikes. How very fall of you, Mother Nature.
A bit of performance art on the lawn.

And the art didn’t stop there. We came across sculptures and pieces made of things like recycled bottlecaps and inflatables.

A picnic featuring pork and chive dumplings from Vanessa’s Dumplings.

Riding around this tiny island, we started to notice the enormous, regal estates now abandoned. In person, I felt a sense of eeriness anytime we rode past one. There’s something about a once-occupied, now empty structure that makes me think of trapped lost souls. Spooky stuff.

On another note, this week a large bulk of the fall television shows are coming back (welcome back, How I met Your Mother, it’s so good to see you!) and a few new ones (hellooo, New Girl. Oh and X-Factor too.). I am once again a slave to my TV (ugh). How about you?

22 responses to “adventures in weekending: riding bikes on governor’s island”

we did a bike ride around governor's island last fall and loved it. so much fun to see your pictures – and yes, it is a bit eerie.

2. jkd says:

I love your outfit!

I don't know how to ride a bike lol

3. kristina@beancakes ★ says:

oh yeah, i'm such a t.v. junkie for certain shows ~ oh well… these are such lovely photos here jillian! those old homes do look spooky cool! and i love the looks of that dumpling lunch ~ YUM!!! happy monday to you 😉
    xx ~ ks

jkd – Haha! Aw, that's okay. I learned to ride a bike very late in life. And it took me a few hours to get it down.

Kristina – Thanks! Happy Monday to you as well. It would be even happier if it were Friday 😉

5. Elle Sees says:

It should be illegal to look this cute riding a bike!

6. Tamra {walkswithBella} says:

I've only been out to Randalls for events/concerts, but never actually toured the island. Looks like y'all had a great time. I wonder why all those estates were left? That is super spooky!! Great images and recap! Makes me want to visit.

7. designedbyann says:

nice photos!Those houses were surely grand when they were occupied!!
    Here the weather is still nice so during the weekend I hit the beach with my boyfriend!
    Anna

8. Lindsay says:

I love your bike!

9. Anait says:

I'll definitely have to put the island on my to go list next time I'm in NYC. Happy Monday!!

10. Aquí says:

what interesting art! The inflatables exhibit is really cool! I don't think I've been on a bike all summer! That sounds like fun!

11. Ashley says:

this is awesome! That sculpture reinds me of kind of condom/intestine sort of mixture. hahahaha :)

12. Gloria says:

I've only been there once, but I definitely want to take another trip soon! Vanessa's Dumplings is so yummy – that photo is making me hungry :-)

13. rebecca says:

ok, I never got around to doing this yet. was it a total pain getting your bike over on the ferry?

14. M@coffeeandkitsch says:

i am beyond excited for HIMYM! love your pics – governor's island was always one of my favorite places when i lived in ny

What darling bikes and DELICIOUS dumplings-you've made me rethink dinner! I hate feeling like a slave to my favorite shows, too, but I do like them so much!

16. Celeste says:

I missed HIMYM tonight but plan on watching it as soon as it's online! Love this post– makes me realize how much I missed when I spent a week in NY all those summers ago!

17. yours truly, melissa says:

I love leisurely bike rides, so this looks so fun! Why are those huge homes abandoned & empty?

18. Peiyinn says:

Look like fun riding! I have been long time don't riding.
    Beautiful photos.:)

Ashley – You're too funny!

Rebecca – No because it wasn't my bike, haha. I rented it when I got there. But from what I saw with the people bringing their bikes on the ferry, it didn't look like it required much effort. In fact, I think they got to board first!

Melissa – I believe GI was used as an army base (from what I saw) for a few years and then was declared as a landmark not too many years later. It's now public property and only open from the spring to fall, so I guess that would explain it. Good question! I feel like I need to research this more!

20. Tereza says:

great photos, looks like good times :)

21. swiftlyinflight says:

Eerie weekend bike rides? Jealous of your life.

The photos of the abandon building(s) are beautiful. I just enjoy architecture photography.

Bottom line: I watch way too much television. Fall TV is killer. New Girl is AMAZE. Quirk-perk!

22. swiftlyinflight says:

Eerie weekend bike rides? Jealous of your life.