2 small steps to organization in 5 minutes

I am embarking on a project to simplify my life. But right now, I don’t have the time to do a major clean or sift through countless files in my computer. So until I do, I’m taking it day by day.  That is, I am taking a few minutes out of each day to complete a task or two that gets me closer to a simpler, cleaner, more organized life.

Task 1: Delete at least 100 photos from my hard drive.

I actually ended up deleting over 300 photos from my computer! I knew these wouldn’t be missed. I was right–I can’t even remember which ones I trashed. Much to my surprise, this was easier than I thought. And it only took me about 3 minutes to do.

Task 2: Recycle/donate the books I will never read.

Luckily, these were freebies I received from a previous job, so I’m not losing any money or value on them. Don’t really know why I took them in the first place (because they were free?).  They’ve just been collecting dust on my bookshelf. To the local library, these will go!

Tomorrow, I delete at least 100 more photos.

Baby steps to clutter-free. I can feel the weight lifting off my shoulders already.

17 responses to “2 small steps to organization in 5 minutes”

1. Peiyinn says:

I have some books that I have read but now it is arranged on my bookshelf.May be I should donate it to the library too. :)
    Great post :)

2. Erika Gregory says:

I definitely need to delete some photos from my computer. I was able to get rid of clutter last year when we moved into our new home. Totally freeing! Great post…..

3. Erika Gregory says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am a new follower!!

4. Andrea@Fancy That! says:

I feel so accomplished when I take care of some of these simple tasks. I need to donate some clothing soooo badly right now. I have bags in my closet.

I love baby steps to a more organized life! I usually go crazy and tackle some huge project to get more organized. I need to do more of these little things.

6. Leslie *Fresh Out of Lemons* says:

Great tips!

I'm a regular deleter; makes my husband a bit crazy! And I'm about to do a book clean out, as soon as our built-in bookshelf is installed.

7. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

i love doing a little computer organization/cleansing!! yay for being organized :)
    Sam @ fitness food & faith (giveaway today!)

8. Alissa says:

Good for you! Getting rid of clutter feels SO GOOD. Keep us updated on what else you do, I'd love the ideas.

9. My Fashion Dolly says:

Wow, this a very simple way to declutter. I'm definitely gonna try it. I want a more zen life. Thanks for sharing. ツ

Xoxo,
    Rocio R.

10. swiftlyinflight says:

This is JUST WHAT I NEED TO DO. Doing these small tasks every few minutes also prevents feeling completely overwhelmed. Great tip that I will have to apply myself.

11. Caroline says:

I love hitting delete when I actually mean to. Hope all is lovely lady! xo.

12. Katie says:

Deleting files…I rreaeelllyyy need to do that.

13. Suzzie V says:

sad it is always so hard to delete photos. Even if they aren't very good.

14. M@coffeeandkitsch says:

i just move all my files to a hard drive – and my hard drive has become that closet that you don't ever want anyone to enter (if you get this reference – think about that time chandler found monica's locked closet on friends)

This is such genius advice-even just a light clean can make such a different, whether it's your computer, your bookshelves or your head!

16. Monica {bohemian twilight} says:

excellent!

i embarked on this voyage last year -little steps often, to simplifying. i cleaned up my rss reader and following, as well as pc files. it really is freeing.

17. made-to-travel.com says:

I totally need like 20 more steps to get organized in my home! lol, le sigh. sooooooooo good to meet you jillian!