whole-grain blueberry pancakes (the imperfect kind)

Ever since I bought whole-wheat flour, I’ve been itching to use it.  The fresh blueberries that I found at the flea market last weekend were calling to be consumed immediately.  So whole-grain blueberry pancakes seemed like the right way to go–not too experimental and guaranteed to be delicious (even if they’re not perfectly round).

Whole-Grain Blueberry Pancakes (adapted from allrecipes)
yields about 5 pancakes

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk, or more if necessary
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1/2 – 1 cup blueberries
Butter for greasing

Sift together flour and baking powder, set aside.
Beat together the egg, milk, salt and sugar in a bowl.
Stir in flour until just moistened, add blueberries, and stir to incorporate.
Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat and grease with butter.
Pour approximately 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake.
Cook until bubbly and sturdy enough to flip over. Flip over and continue cooking until golden brown.

I’m really bad at flipping pancakes.  The ones pictured were actually the best I did.  But the flipping isn’t the important part, anyway.  It’s the fact that, in terms of taste, whole-grain flour was not that much different than white flour when used in pancakes.  I was pleasantly surprised by this.  Maybe it was the addition of plump blueberries or the pure maple syrup or the melty butter, but these hot cakes were melt-in-your mouth good.  I enjoyed them for brunch with a very tall glass of milk (as the designated driver for the day, mimosas were out of the question).

30 responses to “whole-grain blueberry pancakes (the imperfect kind)”

1. Ana Degenaar says:

They look perfect to me! My how I miss blueberries!

2. Jessica says:

Oooh those look delicious! I can't say that I've ever had blueberry pancakes but now I want to try some! Happy Wednesday! :)

*JRB

3. Andrea@FancyThat! says:

I'm adding this recipe to my file of "gotta try this." Usually I go half n half with white/whole wheat flour on baked goods, but I can see how pancakes would work great with just the whole grain.

These look delicious! I want a second breakfast now :)

5. Felicia says:

Oh my goodness, yum! I love blueberry pancakes– the berries are burst-in-your-mouth good. :)

6. Erika Lee Sears says:

Omg! me too! I am the worst at flipping pancakes but they look so yummy.

7. Euniece Santiago says:

pancakes are the reason i get excited for breakfast in the morning – that and the fact that peanut butter is acceptable on almost every breakfast item minus eggs. your pancakes look delicious the imperfect pancake circle shape makes them all that much better because that is when you know things are made from scratch!!!

That is a great point, Euniece! Never thought of it that way. Thank you!

9. rebecca says:

your food photos are amazing jillian. i'm always too lazy to make pancakes in the morning. even on the weekends. isn't that horrible?

Absolutely not! The mornings are always a little rough for some people, hahah. Please…I'd much rather have a professional make me pancakes everyday than make it myself. But I'm not rich yet, so home-cooking it is!

11. Alicia says:

Mmm, whole wheat pancakes are my FAVORITE! So delicious with blueberries or bananas… 😉

12. Monica {bohemian twilight} says:

love blueberries.
    good to know they're just as good with wholewheat. healthier is great when it tastes wonderful. :)

13. Marissa says:

Mmm… you caught me during that mid-afternoon hungry time. I'm going to need to get a snack after this. Blueberries are my most favorite food ever! I love them so much, though, that I almost feel wasteful putting them in anything (pancakes, yogurt, etc.). I Just like to eat them by the pint.

14. Rebekka Seale says:

These look AMAZING! I think whole wheat can give pancakes a really good, nutty, more complex flavor. And, by the way…I LOVE your "about me" section. I concur with all of it!

15. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

i can't wait to test these out over the weekend!! thank you for sharing :)

16. Leslie *Fresh Out of Lemons* says:

I'm drooling om my keyboard!

17. Cafe.Coffee.Latte says:

Oh Yummy! These look so good! and Might I add – Your a professional! compared to my flipping skills – wow! Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to be trying these soon!

These pancakes look amazing-I don't see any imperfections there!

19. Alissa says:

Mmm I've made pancakes with whole wheat flour for a little while and I LOVE it. I also add some dry oatmeal to the batter, which makes the pancakes more chewy and filling. Oh and I usually replace most of the sugar with Splenda (I have a weird reaction to regular sugar). So good! I'm excited for Sunday brunch now!

20. Pink Ronnie says:

Loving your vibrant and crisp food photography, Jillian!
    Ronnie xo

21. Aquí says:

um wow! Could these look anymore amazing?? I think they look perfect! You don't even need syrup for these babies! I want them now!

22. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

My mouth is watering! I'm also rubbish at flipping pancakes, and my first batch is always a flop. These look delicious though!

23. Nikki says:

I saved this recipe! tahnk you for sharing ^^ I need some baking inspo to fill up my 3 rainy months of vacation ^^ x

24. LolaDee says:

Yumm! Blueberry pancakes are my very favourite. Who cares if they're not perfectly round, they still taste as good 😀

25. Chic 'n Cheap Living says:

They look delicious and thanks for the recipe (these are my favorite kind of pancakes too!) Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely week!

xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

26. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} says:

Mmm. I forwarding this to my husband. He's been the king of the berry baking lately.

27. Gloria says:

Haha I'm terrible at flipping pancakes too – I let hubs handle that part :-) These look amazing!

28. kankana says:

This looks delicious .. love blueberry on pancakes.

29. Judy says:

those pancakes look amazing!!! I have to try that recipe this weekend.

xx.
    Judy

30. Sal says:

Um… YUM! Man I love pancakes! I could eat them for any meal and I'd be happy.

Sal x