summer heat survival guide

After last week’s heatwave in most of the states, it seemed only fitting to create a list on how to survive this heat fabulously and stylishly!  Here are a few tips that have been getting me through this hot and sticky summer:
1.) Easy, fresh, no-cook recipes for the days when it’s just too hot to cook or bake. These are some great suggestions for light yet fulfilling lunches and dinners.
2.) Fake a breeze with a stylish hand fan. I got this one as a gift from my friend Val when she came back from Spain. It fits into a purse quite nicely and it looks so chic once you whip it out.
3.) Keep your body spray/perfume in the refrigerator. The cool spritz will only last for a few seconds, but it’s very refreshing while it lasts! And rumor has it that the formula will last longer when kept in cool, dark places.
4.) Carry antibacterial or baby wipes with you. If I’m feeling icky and don’t have the option to take a shower, these are the next best thing to cooling down and cleaning up in a pinch.
5.) Your makeup may be melting off your face, but if your hair looks cute, no worries! One of my fave beauty gurus, Kandee Johnson, shows you this super easy knot that takes under a minute to do (I tried it. It really does take under a minute). For some other quick and cute hairstyle tutorials, look here. And for you short-haired ladies…well, you’re just lucky during this time of year.
6.) Wear light, breathable fabrics like cotton and linen.  Or try clothes made with organic bamboo fiber.  Not only is it sustainable, but the fabric is well-ventilated and absorbs sweat almost instantly.  It is also said to keep you 2-3 degrees cooler. You can find bamboo products here and here.

7.) I got this one from Real Simple‘s current isssue: Place an ice cube on the pulse point of your wrist and it will slowly drop your body temperature.

How have you been surviving the summer so far?

16 responses to “summer heat survival guide”

1. Monica {bohemian twilight} says:

somehow avocado and a fan make the worst heat all okay. 😀

2. kristina@beancakes ❤ says:

i'll have to remember that ice-cube trick, cool! and that fan is really pretty!
    xo ~ kristina

3. Felicia says:

i've been staying indoors and cranking the ac up! ha. great tips though! :)

also, doughnut peaches don't taste any different from regular peaches. they're just smaller, and in my opinion, cuter!

4. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

loving the real simple recipes! great ideas in there. our oven makes the house SO hot.

5. Punctuation Mark says:

this is perfect… the heat in Miami gets quite unbearable from time to time… stay cool!

6. M@coffeeandkitsch says:

i have pretty much banished myself to a room with AC (unless of course i am in a pool)

7. PhotoPuddle says:

It's so weird reading the American blogs I follow and hearing about the heatwave because the weather in the UK has just been terrible. I've been far too cold this summer. I guess I'd rather that than the ridiculous heat you seem to be having.

These are great tips! I need to start carrying a fan around with me! And I like the idea of putting a body spritz in the fridge.

An ice cube or a little cold water on your wrists is always one of my favorite things-heavenly! That, and eating all the avocado and fruit I can imagine!

10. Valerie says:

When I get into work and before I leave I use baby wipes on my feet. I know it sounds dumb but it makes me feel refreshed. NYC streets can turn your pretty pedicured toes black.

11. Aquí says:

Fantastic tips! I love using a dainty hand fan during the summer!

12. Anna Walker says:

I wear dresses ALL OF THE TIME during the summer! 😀 almost every day! The ice tip sound pretty interesting! Thankfully it hasn't been too hot in LA this summer!

13. Indie.Tea says:

Its not really hot enough to be concerned here…I think we had two hot days (close to 90) just over a month ago). Most days, its in the 60's and 70's. And I haven't gotten a chance to wear my white maxi dress.
    Love the tips though – especially the perfume one.

14. Alena: Oh, It's Just Perfect! says:

Great tips for staying cool! It's going to be 100 tomorrow in DC, so I'll be following each and every tip!

15. Kristina says:

yummmm the avocado, cheese, and crackers look delicious!

Kristina

16. linnea paulina says:

I wear that same VS perfume :o) Love it!