i’m now on twitter!

I had been toying with the idea of signing up for a Twitter account.  But it wasn’t until me and Jamillah exchanged some emails about it, that I’ve decided to finally join (find me here!).

I always thought Twitter was just for celebrities and businesses looking to promote themselves.  But I’ve since learned that it really is a great way to connect with other bloggers and people that share the same interests, whether it’s answering questions, sharing links and keeping in touch with the people you support, as well as the people that support you.  And it doesn’t hurt that it’s an effective tool for reaching out to new readers and blogger buds.

Now, I’m going to need some help.  I feel like an 90 year-old that is just now learning how to use a computer (“Eh?! What’s this button do?!”).  I understand that it works just like a Facebook status.  But what are the rules?  What I mean is, is there a Twitter etiquette?  Usually with blogs, it’s bad form to comment on someone’s post with just a “hey, come see my blog and follow me”.  Is there something equivalent to that for Twitter?

I’m also trying to figure out a few other issues. For example: when to use hashtags, how to add the logo to my blog, etc.

Any tips for a newbie Twitterista?  And I do mean any.  I’m so clueless, it’s actually sad.

17 responses to “i’m now on twitter!”

1. Ana Degenaar says:

SO following you!

2. Richard says:

I dont have a twitter account or face book, or even my space. Im pretty old school maybe. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa

3. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} says:

Welcome to "the sickness." I just followed you! :) I'm not real good at tweeting. My only advice is to tweet often, and reply often.

4. Anait says:

wahoo i'm following you :) honestly, I have no idea about twitter rules…I just post an update occasionally and comment on what others write :)

5. Jessica says:

I'm still trying to figure out whether I should join Twitter myself, and I'm still unconvinced. What convinced you to join? Happy Tuesday! :)

*JRB

6. Michelle {lovely little things} says:

Now following you!

I'm your newest follower-welcome to Twitter! My biggest tweeting tip is don't be afraid to ask questions-what the heck is a DM, and what's a #FF, anyway (direct message and a Friday follow hash tag, which I know still sounds like a made up language)!

8. Aquí says:

we should ask Jamillah to make us a twitter how to because I've been on twitter for about a month and I'm still a bit lost. Everyone is always telling me to tweet more… I'm not really good about it.

9. made-to-travel.com says:

OH GIRL!!! Ok, sorry to let you out without any guidelines…the follow back thing is not as prevalent on twitter. I don't think anyone has ever asked me. I'm so happy you are on twitter and I promise you'll get the hand of it once you're in it for a bit.

So there's a couple of different ways to engage on twitter. I dabble in a few. It really depends on how you want to use it. Sara fb'd me and asked me to do a tutorial for you and her and I think I'm going to do it. I actually try to stay away from blogging topics on my blog hence the guest post on Beautifully Invisible, but twitter is great for non bloggers too, my bf has one just to keep up to date on Dia Frampton, lol. Actually only something like 20% of twitter users are content generators the rest are just listening which is a similar ratio to your blogging reader relationships actually.

Ok, HAPPY you are on twitter. I heart you, you know this :).

10. Felicia says:

Tweet tweet! I'm not very good at keeping up with my twitter.. I think the last time I updated was a year ago?

But i love how people use hashtags as a funny/sarcastic comment. Like, if you tweet, "My dog ate my homework." the hashtag could be #literally. Or something like that. It's not a very funny example— i hope i made some sense!

11. Katherine says:

I LOVE twitter & am happy to see you on it!

There are less rules to Twitter than FB. Start and join in on conversations, tweet about whatever you want, and follow interesting people you would like to know more about. Those are my best tips!

❤ Katherine

You guys are THE best. Seriously.

13. The Many Colours of Happiness says:

I wish I could help you! I signed up for twitter but couldn't understand it so I gave up :s

14. Anna Katrina says:

welcome to the twitter world – you will soon be addicted !!

stop by sometime<3

15. Marissa says:

Yay! I held out for the longest time, too, but now I love it. Welcome to your new addiction. 😉

16. April says:

My only guideline would be maybe don't tweet EVERY detail of your life. Just the entertaining ones. Or the ones that make you want to scream, but you can't talk about it with the people you're with – I do that a lot because my job is super frustrating. Don't tweet about what you're eating unless it's spectacular! lol

17. Pink Ronnie says: