homemade chocolate syrup

Have I ever told you I am possibly obsessed with chocolate milk?  Perhaps it’s the nostalgic memory of my grandmother shoving a warm bottle of sweet chocolate milk in my mouth (when I was way too old to be drinking from a bottle)?  Or the refreshingness of a cold glass?  Or it could be that I’m a devoted chocoholic.  Maybe it’s because I have a slightly obsessive personality and once I find something I like, I have to have it all the time.

But probably all of the above.

Since I’ve started eating healthier, I had to dramatically decrease my chocolate milk intake (I was seriously drinking it almost every night…no joke).  But I may revert back to my old ways again because as soon as I came across this recipe, I knew this was it.  I had to have it.

But it’s not all bad.  Yes, it has sugar.  But it contains half the ingredients of a bottle of Nesquik syrup and is much more cost-efficient, which makes it a winner in my book.

*The measurements for this recipe were adjusted to fit my personal taste.

Chocolate syrup (adapted from The Complete Tightwad Gazette via The Small Notebook)
yields about 2 cups

1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate)
1 cup water
1 1/3 cup of sugar

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
a pinch of salt

Mix the cocoa powder and the water in a medium saucepan.
Heat and stir until cocoa dissolves.
Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
Boil for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
Add the salt and the vanilla.
Let cool.
Pour into a clean glass jar and store in the refrigerator.  It will take a few hours to thicken.

I’ve been getting a little crazy with it.  I’ve tried it in my smoothies, milk, drizzled over strawberries and I’ve even had spoonfuls straight from the jar–because it’s that yummy.

24 responses to “homemade chocolate syrup”

1. Jane says:

I love chocolate milk as well, and oh gosh, I have all those ingredients! Seriously considering making that right now.

2. Ana Degenaar says:

I am so making this Jillian! Thank so much for sharing. You are an angel!

3. designedbyann says:

very nice! I'm bookmarking it! I hope I succeed in making it, as I'm a bit crappy with syrups!
    Anna

4. Felicia says:

YUM! Nesquik syrup is my Achilles heel. This looks like a delicious and healthier alternative (none of those crazy preservatives!

5. Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} says:

i've never thought to try this, but i love the idea!!

6. M@coffeeandkitsch says:

looks delish!

7. Indie.Tea says:

It sounds a lot better than Nesquik, all-natural and so a lot healthier.
    And your shots of the cocoa powder and syrup in a spoon are gorgeous.

I really want to make this! And using dark chocolate cocoa sounds wonderful :)

9. Aquí says:

Chocolate milk is one of my favorites! This looks way better than any chocolate syrup I've ever had! Jamillah is creating a twitter how to post for us!!!! I couldn't resist asking her!

10. Gloria says:

Oooh something tells me I'm going to like this WAY better than what comes out of the Nesquik bottle!

11. Leslie *Fresh Out of Lemons* says:

Ha! I go through chocolate AND strawberry milk phases. (Though seperately, not mixed!) The nice thing is that my husband is happy when I get extra calcium, so he's always willing to mix some up for me. We keep glasses in our freezer just for my cravings. :)

12. Monica {bohemian twilight} says:

i LOVE icy cold chocolate milk. although i hardly ever drink it. i was craving it in my first months of pregnancy.

this recipe sounds yum, but that's an insane amount of sugar. have you considered a sweetener, or honey, or maple syrup?

13. Punctuation Mark says:

this is such a good recipe!!! i could eat the whole thing!!!

I'm glad so many of you are willing to try it! It's just one those things that's really easy to make. Plus, who doesn't love a good chocolate milk (or chocolate anything?).

Monica – You should have seen the original recipe! 2 cups of sugar, as opposed to the 1 1/3 that have here. I agree, it IS a lot of sugar. However, when comparing with Nesquik, it's pretty much the same amount of sugar per serving. The major difference here is the amount and quality of ingredients.

In most cases like this, I usually use raw/turbinado sugar (which is what I use in my coffee). I haven't tried agave yet But I definitely want to!

15. Shanelé says:

yummmmmmmm!! Def adding this to my 'to make' list!

16. Deanna Pai says:

I haven't had chocolate milk in ages, but this looks so delicious (and foolproof, which is important for me!). Definitely want to try this and indulge in a little nostalgia. :)

17. Kimia Kline says:

yum. had no idea it was possible to make homemade chocolate syrup! trying this for sure.

18. iris says:

Oh, this sounds so wonderful. Almost as awesome as chocolate ice cubes.

19. Alexa says:

Oh you are kidding. This looks incredible. I have such a sweet tooth!
    xo
    Alexa

20. Sara Louise says:

Your recipe looks good, not too too sweet, just chocolatly enough :-)

21. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking says:

This sounds delicious! I have gotten into the habit of having hot chocolate every night which I need to break! This recipe looks like a great substitute as it's got far less sugar! Can't wait to try it!

22. Yelena Starikova says:

I love EVERYTHING Chocolate!

Im your new follower!

AllGlamThings

23. Anonymous says:

Very Cool post! I am going to have to spend sometime trying to make this. I am hoping to become a fellow blogger. I posted my very first blog today on my sister's blog http://www.lemonsandlaundry.blogspot.com

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Have a great weekend!
    -Sean

24. Cafe.Coffee.Latte says:

Oh this is wonderful! I'm doing this tonight! Thanks for the recipe! Yum Yum. Have a lovely weekend!