adventures in weekending

In the circle of people that I know, most of their birthdays tend to fall between April and May (including myself).  And that means lots of dinners and gifts.  I have no problems with either of those!

On Friday, Bob’s mom generously treated us to dinner at the quiet and unpretentious DeStefano’s in Brooklyn.  I had never heard of it before she suggested it, but apparently it has been around for many years and is a favorite among a ton of celebrities.

And now I know why.  It was fantastic.  A bit on the pricey side, but food of excellent quality nonetheless.
 Fresh mozzarella on a bed of chopped mushrooms.

Lambchops with a pistachio crust, garlic potatoes and maple-glazed carrots.

And a shared chocolate mousse cake for me and Bob–all gone.

On Saturday, we celebrated my mom’s birthday in New Jersey.  She chose Carino’s for dinner, and though I tried to “gently suggest” a non-franchise restaurant, she wasn’t having any of it.  There’s just no reasoning with a birthday girl!

At least, we got to make fun my Dad’s giant George Castanza wallet.  He’s still got PBA cards from 2000 in there!

Afterwards, I made Bob take a picture of my new favorite bag.  It was my birthday gift to myself.  And I  got it on sale for $20 down from $60.  Go me!

Looking back at all of my pictures from the weekend left me feeling grateful for all that I have.  I love being able to relive the memories (and food) through a collection of photos.  I wouldn’t remember a thing without them. Though I’ve come to the realization that I need to start taking more pictures of people.  This will be my assignment for next time!

15 responses to “adventures in weekending”

1. Euniece Santiago says:

oh dear, all of the food looks absolutely divine!! I probably wouldn't have been able to get a picture of the cake either, because it would be in my stomach too quickly!!! and that's the beauty of having a blog and all the pictures we take [i need to work on taking pictures of people as well]! it's like a life scrap book!

2. Deanna Pai says:

I love the new bag! And wow, I should not have read this post on an empty stomach… I'm ten seconds away from sprinting into my kitchen. I completely agree with wanting to take more pictures to document everything; I want to do the same for the month and a half left before my graduation!

3. Anait says:

Mmmmm I can just imagine what that cake looked like. *stomach grumbles*

Love the bag…the blue is such a perfect spring/summer color

4. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} says:

Lol. George Castanza wallet. Those are the worst. I don't know how men sit on those.

Love your new bag! Happy birthday!

5. made-to-travel.com says:

Awwww, gorgeous!!! Happy birthday? I'm not quite sure…but what a wonderful wonderful celebration. This is tooootally my fave way to spend my birthday too.

And helllooooooo lamb chops with pistachio crust-NOTHING wrong with that!

6. Gloria says:

destafano's is so amazing – you know the steak is good when they don't even bother giving you a steak knife. cuts like buttah

love the cheerful color of your new purse!

7. Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} says:

Sounds like a lovely time.
    PS I made your chocolate chip cookies on Monday evening and brought them to work the next day–such a hit! (Although mo co-workers did wonder if you meant 375 instead of 275 for the oven…)

Gabriella – So glad you tried them! And thank you sooo much for catching this mistake! I actually meant 325 degrees. I updated the post, so it's all fixed now!

9. Diana Mieczan says:

Aww…looks and sounds like a great weekend and I totally adore your new bag, my dear:)
    Kisses

Ps: I’m hosting a cute necklace GIVEAWAY today! Hope you’ll join in!

What a wonderful, delicious weekend! Your dad's wallet cracks me up, and that bag is such a divine score!

11. Anna Walker says:

Amazing yummy looking food and drinks! 😀 Sounds like you had a great weekend! Mushrooms are my favorite! I would have killed for that! Lovely bag as well!

12. Lisa Lisa Lisa says:

That sounds like a fantastic dinner! The pictures are fabulous. Your dad's wallet is insanely full! haha

Beautiful purse! I am such a fan of that color.

13. Indie.Tea says:

DeStefano's sounds like a wonderful restaurant. The food all sounds so delicious!
    And your mom's birthday sounds fun…and your bag is so cute. Such a gorgeous color…

14. Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess says:

More yummy photos! And I'm super impressed that the ones in low light look really great too!

15. Kate says:

Thanks so much for your sweet comments lately! I am absolutely drooling over that mozzarella! HOLY. It looks amazing!