day at the museum

i haven’t been to every museum in nyc (there’s a bunch!), but of the ones i have visited, the museum of natural history is my consistent favorite.  true-to-life forms, rich cultural sustenance and the ever-changing variety of exhibits and displays excite me.

when you come here, you need to dedicate an entire day to this because there’s so much to see and learn.  i just wanted to share with you just a few things that caught my eye this time around.

the arapaho women buffalo society’s highest officer is known as the “white woman”.  after dancing, the members walk around in a circle with the white woman following and supporting herself on 2 wooden sticks.  i think she looks so powerful and almost menacing.
i have a thing for owls.  they’re such beautiful, regal creatures.  and they look as if they have a thousand secrets to tell!  fun fact: did you know owls have 3 eyelids?  one for blinking, one for sleeping and one for cleaning the eye.
these footprints belong to the lizard-like barosaurus.  these dinosaurs were enormous with super long neck and tails.

this here is depicting the green corn dance that was practiced at the first ripening of corn by a few different tribes.  this ceremony of prayer and dance marked a time of thanks and forgiveness of sins.

much to my surprise, the hall of minerals was filled with cool treasures of all sorts.  i even made a sarcastic joke to bob, “i know where you want to go…the hall of minerals!”.  but it’s actually one of the most interesting exhibits in the museum.

i didn’t even bother reading the description under this one. all i could do was stare.

nor did i read the description for this one.  all i thought was, ooooh shiny!

don’t you just love museums?

9 responses to “day at the museum”

1. Gina Michele says:

The Museum of Natural History is one of my favorites too. Great pics!
    I also like to drool over all the jewelry =D

♥ Gina Michele
    CrochetClouds

2. Deanna Pai says:

I complain about Chicago like it's my job, but I secretly LOVE being so close to the Art Institute and the Museum of Contemporary Art. And I totally agree about the White Woman looking menacing — I started to get a little creeped out when I looked at her eyes.

3. amy b.s. says:

i love visiting museums. its just so easy to get lost in the history and beauty of everything.

4. Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} says:

Ah, those little figures remind me of Night at the Museum. :) Such a good movie. I've never been to this place but it sounds so interesting!

5. Aquí says:

looks like such a wonderful day! I love this museum!

6. Lynzy says:

Sounds like the perfect day. That necklace is so gorgeous!

xo Lynzy

7. Alena says:

Love, love, love this post. I hope to visit this museum someday. I love going to the ones in DC–especially because they are FREE!! Always the perfect excursion for a rainy day.

I adore the Museum of Natural History (but really, I'm a sucker for museums in general)!

9. Linda [the young curator] says:

i LOVE the museum of natural history!!! i haven't been there in a while, but i plan on going back again this summer.

if you haven't already, i highly recommend you visit the moma and the moma store. both are really fun and full of inspiration!