1. christmastime is here – a classic! love that it makes me feel like a little kid drinking hot chocolate in front of the tv. those little sing-songy voices never fail to put a smile on my face.
2. blue christmas – not the most cheerful christmas song, but something about elvis’s husky voice and the woo-woo-wooing of the background vocals makes me feel like i’m trudging through a snowstorm just to see my love on christmas day.
3. santa baby – eartha kitt’s version is, hands down, the best version of this song. so innocent and playful, yet so deliciously sultry. her voice is is as smooth as butter.
4. the christmas song – another smooth soulster. an obvious choice, but to me, this is the ultimate christmas song – tiny tots having trouble falling asleep, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, mistletoe, folks dressed like eskimos…it’s all here!
5. the grinch song – love love love singing along to this one! part of what makes it so fun is that the lyrics are things i would never think to say in my real life, i.e. “you’re a bad banana with a greasy black peeeeeeel” (how about “your brain is full of spiders, you’ve got garlic in your soul”?). aaah, the magic of dr. seuss!
there are so many others, but this list would have been way too long. here are a few (of many) honorable mentions: white christmas by bing crosby, the christmas song by alvin and the chipmunks, it’s the most wonderful time of the year and happy holidays by andy williams and little saint nick by the beach boys.
what are some of your favorites?